Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-22-2001, 08:20 PM
Inactive User

It's a 360 w/ headers, holley 650 carb, edelbrock torker intake, crane cam, and the engine was running fine
I was away in maryland for 4 days and when i came back and started it it now misses and won't pullabove 3,000rpms and the tach when it gets to 3,000rpms just starts to jump around below 3,000rpms and the exhalst.
The coil output is fine`!

I didn't check the plugs, but the dist cap looks like it has ghost tracks behind each of the contacts like it was arching!
Old 05-22-2001, 09:32 PM
Inactive User

there's a bunch of stuff that will give you the kind of grief you describe. Start with the basics- be sure the plugs, cap, rotor and wires can handle the current flow without leaking spark all over. A good idea is to run the car at night with no lights around so you can check for sparks that you wouldn't notice in the daylight. Then spray the ignition with a water bottle while it's running to be sure there is no spark leak. You didn't say if you have points or not, if so check for correct gap and if they are pitted (burned). If so, chuck them and replace along with a new condenser. If electronic, be sure the reluctor to pickup gap is no more than 8-10 thou., wider than that will give a weak signal; actually the closer the better, but remember not so close that the teeth hit the pickup, especially at higher RPM's. The other things I've seen go bad is the distributor shaft bushings (especially in points type dist.), and also the brass bushing pressed into the block that supports the dist shaft. If the plugs are old, they may have just decided to pack it in. Use Champs or any plug with "soft" electrodes for a fatter spark. Also, you said the coil output is good-but HOW do you know? Hope this helps...........djs
Old 05-22-2001, 09:50 PM
Inactive User

It could also be a cam lobe going flat,thats a textbook complaint you described.....PRO......
Old 05-22-2001, 11:11 PM
Big Tuna

Question Jumping tach??????

Try unhooking the tach and see if it goes away. I've had tachs go bad and do this too.
Old 05-23-2001, 12:05 AM

Definitely sounds electrical. Like the fella said, try to disconnect to tach, and another thing to check is tightness of the connectors and lugs on the coil POS and NEG terminals. If the nuts are not snugged down properly, you'll start getting that miss and the tach response will be erratic. You say the distributor cap has tracks, might as well replace it. Accell sells one with the "anti-arc"ribs inside the cap and has brass contacts for better conductivity. Do the cap and rotor as a set, they're inexpensive enough where it won't hurt financially. Reseat the wires on the plugs and the distributor cap nipples using silicone grease inside the wire boots to help keep out moisture and make removal easier later.
Old 05-23-2001, 01:17 PM
Inactive User

Sounds like the Tach to me too. Had that problem chased it for weeks!!!! Finally someone told me to disconect the Tach. Wala no mo problems.
Old 05-24-2001, 09:55 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs down

What should i disconnect when i pull the tach wires!
I mean this problem is wierd, because i went away for 3 days, then i came back and it took a shit! Thats whats making me think?????
Maybe its the coil or the ignition box?
Old 05-24-2001, 10:01 PM
Inactive User

Disconnect the "signal" wire from the neg. side of the coil. It's almost always green. Most tachs are wired like this. Red-alive when ignition is in run position. Black-ground. Green-neg. coil terminal. White-gauge light...............djs
Old 05-24-2001, 10:08 PM
Inactive User

i cut the wire at the tach, should i have disconnected it completely!!!!!
Old 05-26-2001, 10:29 PM
Inactive User

if the signal wire is disconnected (cut), then the tach is not the problem..djs
Old 05-27-2001, 06:00 PM
Inactive User

Arrow

What else could the problem be?
Ing box?
Coil?
????????
Not sure?

I pulled 3 plugs and the tips looked white!
The accel wires look kinda old!

The fuel in the bowls look up to the proper level! I have the clear sights!

Why would all this stuff go bad after sittin 3 days!