Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-24-2001, 09:31 PM
Inactive User

Question

Hi everyone,
About 3 months ago I bought a 86 Ramcharger 4x4 with a 360 in it. As far as I know it is a stock truck with 115k on it. My problem is it only gets about 8 to 10 miles to the gal. I am willing to put some money and work in to it, but I am not sure where to start. So if I could get some ideas that would be great. I guss I should tell the truck runs great and is used everyday.
Old 05-24-2001, 10:33 PM
Inactive User

What do you want, better gas mialage?
10-12 MPG is fairly common on the big RamChargers, but you may be able to tune it for a bit better gas mialage.
I think a lower restriction exhaust would be the place to start if the ignition and carb are in good shape.
I was going to run headers with dual cats and 2.5" superturbo mufflers (dual system) on my 1983 RamCharger, and then run the air pump into the 3-way cats through some valves (I forgot the technical name for the valves.)

This probbly won't pass a visual emission test but it should pass an exhaust sniffer test. I have seen some people run the dual 2.5" cats and larger tube to a Chevy style dual inlet / single 3" outlet muffler so the exhaust only has one exhaust pipe.

Also, running synthetic gear oil in the axles, transfer case, and manual transmission (if equiped) will give you an extra mile per gallon, but you might need 2-gallons of gear oil and last time I bought the red-line brand gear oil it was about $8 per quart.

Also run maximum tire inflation to lower rolling resistance, and make sure the truck has been aligned correctly.
I think there are also some synthitic wheel bearing grease avaliable, but I have never used it.
Old 05-25-2001, 12:39 AM
Inactive User

Id start with a timing chain,a 115k sb will have a stretched out chain for sure this will kill mileage,next Id get a MP electronic dist with the quick curve then Id get shorty headers and bigger or dual exhaust,if you want more pull the heads and mill them .030 this will make it more efficent,a low comp motor works harder than a higher comp one,this will raise comp .5,and add an rv cam something around .450lift and 270*,you should be capable of 13-15mpg,my 440 3/4t 4wd gets 14 mpg combined.........PRO.....
Old 05-25-2001, 12:39 AM
Inactive User

The cheapest way to improve fuel economy is to drive like there's an egg between your foot and the gas pedal. If I drive like an old fart I can get nearly 15 around town with my 1500 Ram 4x4 but it drives my wife crazy. Jims 451 had a good point when he mentioned tire inflation pressures and alignment (especially toe in/out). Anything you can do to make it roll easier will help increase fuel mileage.
Old 05-26-2001, 12:16 AM
Inactive User

Thanks everyone. I did not know running your tire low would reduce mileage, I have been running my 31 10.50 BF Goodwrench a/t's low for better ride I will bump them up. I am planning on putting a Edelbrock performance series cam, intake, & carb on the truck then the headers and duals after the EGR is gone. The state of Maine only has visual insp. no emissions. Thanks again for the help I have never really worked on cars and trucks before kinda taking up the hobby. Wife already says I spend to much time on the truck. To Bad