Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-25-2001, 08:44 PM
Inactive User

Question

i run 255 street radials on my charger and have trouble hooking up when i go to the strip. ive been told to avoid the water box if running street tires . does doing a burnout and heating the tires do any good for regular tires to hook?
Old 05-25-2001, 10:33 PM

My best luck with street radials was to lower the pressure to about 18 psi, avoid the water box, and leave easy out of the hole and then ease into it.
Old 05-25-2001, 10:40 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Regular tires will let lose easy on the track when heated up. There to spongie for dong that. Aviod the water box.
Old 05-25-2001, 10:50 PM
Inactive User

Exclamation street tires and drag racing

the reason you don't put street tires trough the water is that you get water into the grooves of the tires. Then when you need the traction, you've got hot (but wet) tires. Drive around the water box, not through it, heat the tires if you want to, but it won't really make much of a difference. Lower air pressure will help some too. The main thing is practice and getting to know your car. You could always buy a pair of spare wheels and get some real stick "street" tires like the McCreary dirt specials. They work great for this sort of thing. e-mail me if you have any other questions that I could help with.
Old 05-26-2001, 12:37 AM

I agree with Orange Bee, The McReary Road Star dirt tire(now called American Racer) work great on the street and strip. My stepson runs them on his 5.0 Mustang on the street and they work great. Awhile back he raced a guy with a all-wheel drive twin turbo Stealth who said he had never been beat, my stepson beat him by about 6-7 car lengths. When the race was over the guy asked what kind of tire he was running, cause he had never been beat out of the hole and couldn't believe a rear wheel drive car could jump his 5,000 rpm clutch dropping all-wheel drive. My stepson told him just some old bias ply's. LOL. The Mustang runs 12.32 @ 111mph through full exhaust on DOT tires.
Not too shabby for a Phord!!