Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-26-2001, 08:56 AM
Inactive User

I have a 727 behind a 440 in my '70 CUDA. On the kickdown lever, how much play should their be before you start to feel any resistance when you move the lever by hand at the trans? It just does not shift the way I think it should. The shifts are to soon. The linkage is adjusted correctly. Thanks
Old 05-26-2001, 10:59 AM

There is just a little bit of movement as you start to move the kickdon lever back. Start the adjusment by making sure the throttle is completely closed, not against the fast idle stop from the choke. Loosen the adjuster bolt/nut on the throttle kickdown rod at the transmission. Make sure the carb end of the linkage is tight against the throttle stud. Let the linkage slid forward in the adjuster, making sure the kickdown lever is against the internal stop. Tighten down the adjuster bolt/nut. There should be no slack, no lost motion between throttle movement to open and kickdown lever movement. If the transmission shifts too soon, the linkage length is too short. If it shifts too late, the linkage is too long. Sounds like you need to make yours a little longer. Good luck. Hope this was understandable and helpful.
Old 05-26-2001, 10:52 PM
Inactive User

Wink

The proper way to adjust the kickdown linkage is to have someone hold the throttle wide open with his foot on the gas pedal. This is also a good time to check that the carb actually opens all the way at wide open throttle. If not adjust it so it does. Next, hold the kickdown lever all the way open (push it towards the back of the car), tighten the lock bolt. You're done....djs