Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-28-2001, 01:54 AM
Inactive User

A little off topic....

I have this friend who is a typical Ricer gearhead, Honda guy. He was always talking 'bout how fast his honda was. Everytime he said anything of the sort I'd just laugh at only making him angry at me.

So one day I drive my 440 Dart GT to work, mostly stock 440, .509 cam, Ported heads, M1, 3k stall 727, with 3.91s. The basic bolt on stuff, nothing too fancy.

I fire it up for a few other Mopar/Gm/ford guys at lunch break, they all love the way that cam idles. It makes my car shake, neat to watch. So were shooting the bull and my Honda Lover of a friend comes over with his jaw draggin on the ground. " WOW this thing sounds Awesome" I offer him a ride to show him what a real car can do. After a real mean hole shot that got totally sideways, he was like "holy crap, I didnt know V8's were this fast". I just grin.

To my suprise he pulls up to work two weeks later in a 71 340 Duster, mostly rust free, but tired. I says whats up with the American Iron? He says, I've seen the light my brother. So now that I've proudly coverted a ricer to the Mopar Religion, he's trying to get me to sell him one of my extra 440 blocks.

Priase The Lord
Old 05-28-2001, 01:57 AM
Inactive User

You may have a future as a preacher brother........PRO...
Old 05-28-2001, 02:09 AM
Inactive User

yah know whats sad?

my smog hog 77 Volare made my ricer friend pee his pants...he got all paraniod as i was taking turns "way to fast"

one thing ricers don't know is that stickers don't make a car go faster... :-D

oh and big rims, coffe cans for mufflers and lowering springs won't improve your 1/4 mile time by more than a few tenths....

:-D
Old 05-28-2001, 09:26 AM
Inactive User

i read this in another post and cant remember who said it to give them credit but its a good one

the only substitute for cubic inches is rectangular dollars

that should say it all to the ricers

oh yah a chevy friend got me the other day, DODGE= dead on driveway guts everywhere, damit i didnt have a comeback for chevy except i said lets line them up.........he declined hehehe. any help on the slam though?
Old 05-28-2001, 11:11 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

C - Chugs
H - Heavy
E - Eats
V - Valves
Y - Yearly

I too have promised my "Ricer lovin" neighbors a ride when I'm done. I told them I would take them for a drive only if they wear a diaper. (with a dead serious face)
There faces changed, I restated myself and scared one away.
Old 05-28-2001, 11:37 AM

Cool

440DARTGT,

That's great to hear but don't let your friend drop a big block in his Duster if it's an original 340 Car. He can get the 340 to run just as fast as a big block plus he won't de-value the car if he ever decides to sell it.

Just my 2 cents.

HV
Old 05-28-2001, 12:11 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin Happens all the time

Got a buddy that always was proud of how snappy the acceleration in his Volvo turbo was. I tried not to laugh but I busted out anyway. When the opportunity arose I offered him a 'ride' in my Coronet. Well, burning the tires all the way through 1st and halfways through second while giving him a case of whiplash didn't really provoke much of a response from him. But when we got behind grandma driving 40 and I nailed it to pass her (it downshifted to 2nd) and acted like it was going to get loose he yelled "MY GOD" and then I knew I had him. Yep. He is now restoring a '67 Coronet and bullding a hot 318 to power it. Another true believer.

OH< as far as Chevys go. I am finishing up Smokey Yunicks book on tuning secrets and there are several places that Smokey lements how poor the Chevy design is compared to how it is done on a MoPar. And that is from a Chevy only man.
Old 05-28-2001, 09:50 PM

I went crusing the streets for the first time in quite a few years this weekend, and I am sorry to say thats the younger generation thinks that imports are the baddest cars on the street. It makes me sad, to see all the civic's with a 3 1/2" tail pipe and 17" tires lowered so low that there is no suspention left. And they think they are fast. One local kid has a $100 open bet that he can beat anything on the street, with a all-wheel drive turbo Eagle Talon. I guess he put about $5000 into the motor, ie bigger turbo, big intercooler, etc. and I have heard that it runs 12.80's in the 1/4. But the majority of them come down to the local 1/8 mile track on test-n-tune night and run a 10.30 ET and think its fast. Just for comparison a stock 88 GT Mustang can run a 9.50 with stock 2.73 gears. I think if they had a ride in a real fast car they would think differently.
Old 05-28-2001, 11:08 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Here's what I tell all the ricers, (and Ford and chevy guys for that matter). "I'll race you when I see a bead of weld holding your door shut." The usual reply is "huh?" or something else really intelligent! To which I say "ya, so when I fly past your car after giving you a head start, the door won't blow off!" that usually pi$$is them right off........djs
Old 05-28-2001, 11:45 PM
Inactive User

coming from the younger generation (i am 16) i find almost no appeal in burners...i think it would be hella funny to get a Civic or something a drop in a 360 crate engine and then race them...380hp box stock...in a 2500lb car...that would be hilarious.....i swear i am going to do that one day...just piss them off...

i don't understand my generation....out of a couple hundred guys i know only about 8 of them can tune a car up and think 4inch exhaust on a 4 banger aren't cool!!

oh yah and someone answer me this....why in the hell do these stupid kids my age think there black...i got in a fist fight with some red necked cracker that listend to rap and thought i was "dissin his music"

these guys fight just like there cars are....all looks no balls...

oh well i have said more than my piece..i don't understand them and i never will....although i found a Mitubishi eclipse at the yard i think i may buy and spend the next 6 months trying to cram a V-8 into it....that would be cool...i could run the 4inch exhaust and it would sound cool! not like a pissed off lawn mower...

oh well...if someone figures out why kids my age are stupid just let me know!
Old 05-29-2001, 04:32 PM
Inactive User

Ok, I can't hold my tongue any longer on this subject. First let me say (no snickers please) my daily driver is a 98 Accord EX V6 coupe black & all stock except for 3 1/2 inch stainless dual exhaust tips. I couldn't take the puny looking dual factory tips. This is my driver because the damn thing runs the same everytime I turn the key. Never been back to the dealership since I drove it off the lot with no miles. Sorry guys but when I get frustrated working on my 2 mopars I need something to haul my butt to the parts store to reload. I am Mopar through & through but considering the shit that comes from MP and off the assembly line I think you can relate. Anyhow, I get the biggest kick when driving this car and some kid pulls up in a Civic, Cavalier all tricked etc. and I am minding my own business & they always want to hookup. I don't give a hoot about their cold air intakes crap Folgers exhaust but it's always cool & makes me grin when this dead quiet auto trans Accord smokes their asses. At least I don't have to listen to their Ninja wannabe exhaust when I pass them! I'm not stupid, I won't even acknowledge a turbo car (the accord is not fast by anyones standards) but If they are insistent, I just tell them to follow me home & choose a Mopar if they are dead set on getting stomped like the gnats they sound like. My point being, the torque of a larger displacement V6 goes a long way against a pile of $2,000.00 bolt ons let alone against something with real power. Thats part that sucks about having a Honda driver, they always think I'm one of "them" & want to show their 3 chest hairs. Thanks for letting me rant.
Russ
"66" 440 Belvedere
"79" 440 Powerwagen boat puller
and you know what else