Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-28-2001, 03:04 AM
Inactive User

Question

Ok, im slowly buiding a 360 for my challenger... im looking for over 400+ hp. Anyways, I already have a fresh 360 block, and 340 x heads, intake, and carb. I boubt i'll use the intake and carb from the 340. But other than that I have no idea where to go.. what cam, pistons, ect. Any info will help, especially where i could buy the parts.. as i have found they are not cheap.
Old 05-28-2001, 11:56 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Well if your not going to use the intake, get a Edel.RPM.
If the Thermoquad is out (I'll buy it) get a 750-800 carb. I like the carter for the street. The Holley makes more power and is better for the strip. Not tryin to start a carb war here. That could go on for pages.
Port the heads.
Pistons...Keith Black (KB) makes a nice set. You'll want around a 10-1 compresion. KB makes a zero deck piston. (piston comes up flush with the block)
MoPar has cams to getcha going in the right direction. Choose one that fits your RPM useage.
In a recent Hot Rod issue, they used a Isky 280 Mega-cam, Torker II ,750 Edel. carb, and a set of Edel. heads to make 408 HP with small tube headers.
Make sure springs are matched to the cam and the heads are treated right.
(This engine made that power on a stand without an ALT. and Powersteering pump. A slightly larger cam would do you better while in car. IMOP)
(Purple 284/,484)
Old 05-29-2001, 01:18 AM
Inactive User

thanks that helps a lot.... but I have another question... will i need to replace the cast iron crank of the 360 with a forged steel one?
Old 05-29-2001, 05:00 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

NO. The cast crank in the 360 is good to go to about 650-700 HP if done the right way. There are special needs for that. Your going to 400 HP. You have nothing to worry about.
Make sure its fed oil well with correct clearances around the main and rods. Becareful not to over rev it. A rev limiter will help save it from harm.