Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-28-2001, 10:10 AM
Inactive User

if a tappet and a roller cam have the exact same grind will the roller do better?, or do rollers do better because they can handle a bigger grind?. who sells a good roller setup for a 383? what else do i need to convert to roller cam? does lifters come with the cam?
Old 05-28-2001, 10:59 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

WOW, ton-o-questions,but there good and in one topic.

"The contest" If the grinds of the cam exact, as in the was the engine would see it. The roller would win.
WHY? It rolls rather than slides over the cam. This will free up power. And cause less friction. Less friction the better.
A roller cam can handle a grind thats more radical because the tappets wheel has more clearence around the cams lobe. The hyd or soild tappet has less clearence, and on the radical lift rate a roller. The tappet would hit the ramp of the roller cam.
Rollers can be purchased from many cam manufactures;
Crane, Comp cams are the names you might reconize.
I'm sure theres others like (but not sure if they make'em) Racer Brown and Engle.
MoPar sells rollers from Crane.
As far as converting to a roller set up, theres the cam, liffters and pushrods to match what ever rocker arms your running. For the price of what your doing, the extra cost of roller rockers will complete the bennifits of it all.
You could use whatever rocker you wanted to, but then it would mean making custom pushrods. Why bother when you can get them to fit.
I do not think liffters are part of the deal when you purchase the cam. I do believe there a seperate purchase.
1 more thing, Roller cams can be made/purchased in street, street/strip and race type profiles.
Old 05-28-2001, 12:35 PM

Rumble. I think I asked this before, but can you use 318 OEM rollers in an older LA motor? I got the girdle, guides,rollers and pushrods, but a '68 block. I can swing the girdle mounting bosses. Thanks.
Old 05-28-2001, 10:04 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

If you can mount the girdle (spider) to hold down the lifters. Your in biz. Mom MoPar says to peen the block. It might be a good idea to follow instuctions on this. I don't know what they do at the factory with roller cam engines, as far as mods to the block go.
This should be easy. I would suggest you do some more homework on this to make sure.

Heres a twist, my create short block (10-1 version) came with the boss's to mount a spider for roller cams. (Hmmmmmmm)

Let me know what you find out. I think you can, but, look somemore anyway. At least it will prevent a disaster.
Old 05-28-2001, 10:49 PM

Peen the block? Like shot peen? I give....what the heck does that mean? where are you reading this, ill get a copy. Thanks
Old 05-28-2001, 11:15 PM
Inactive User

I believe you have to have the 10 degree locks put in the heads also, and of coarse you have to get the valve springs to match the cam. Can you run a roller cam and roller lifters with ductile iron adj. rockers? I thought you had to have roller rockers.
Like I've said before I think if properly set up a roller would be better but I've seen friends with 9 and 12 second cars spend $ switching to all the roller stuff and get no gain.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...newphotos=true