Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-16-2000, 07:02 AM
Inactive User

I am haveing trouble wireing my 727 which I have put in my (Aussie)Valint charger. You see they are three wires,light green, white and brown coming out of the safety swich.I know the green and white wires are for the reverse lights and the brown for the starter motor,
but there is an additional yellow wire from the ignition swich.
At the moment I've just joined the yellow wire from the ignition swich to the brown wire of the starter motor and bypassed the safety swich all together. Does anyone know how to wire this properly.
Old 09-16-2000, 11:23 AM
Inactive User

Question

how is a 727 torqueflite normaly wired up?
Old 09-16-2000, 07:45 PM

Arrow

My car has different colors, on the wires. Here is the basics. 1 wire goes to the starter relay, for neutral safety. another wire goes to the taillamp harness, for reverse lights. The third wire goes to the ignition switch, for switched voltage.

The neutral safety wire applies a ground when in park or neutral. The other two wires are shorted to each other, when in reverse, to apply voltage to the backup lamps. Real easy to determine which lead is which, with a volt/ohm meter or a test light.

------------------
Ed - MoPower

'96 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT CC 360 4X4
'68 Charger 383-4
'69 Coronet 500 Convertible 440-4
Old 09-19-2000, 07:26 PM
Inactive User

Here is a diagram that I made up from the wiring diagram in the service manual for my 1977 Dodge B200 van. Most Mopar stuff is very similar.
<center>

</center>
A. When the trans is in Reverse, wires 1 and 3 (see diagram) of the Neutral Safety Switch are connected via a metal bridge positioned appropriately in the rooster comb of the valve body. This closes the Backup light circuit (causes Reverse lights to go on).
B. When the trans is in Park or Neutral, wire 2 (see diagram) is grounded to the transmission case by another bridge (same piece of metal, actually) in the rooster comb, allowing current to flow from the battery, through the ammeter in the instrument panel, through the IGN switch, (if in START position), and through the electromagnetic coil inside the Starter Relay, which closes a contact that bridges the 4-gauge battery feed wire to the 6-gauge starter wire, which cranks the starter motor (starts vehicle, hopefully.
Also, any other condition that you want to prevent the vehicle from starting can also be wired (in series) into circuit 2) that I just described. For example, my van has an electronic transmission dipstick wired between the IGN switch and the starter relay that will create on open circuit (prevent vehicle start) if my trans. fluid is low.

The colors may be off a little, but the principle is usually the same with many Mopar products. Hope this was helpful.

[This message has been edited by tsteiner61 (edited September 19, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by tsteiner61 (edited September 19, 2000).]