Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-29-2001, 03:27 PM

Question

Does anybody run the Rhodes Lifters? I was considering them for reducing the cam profile at low RPM for my low compression (9:1) application....then I wanted the higher lift for the my ported 906 heads at higher RPM... But I just talked to Dave over at hughes engines and he said that they are a "Bandaid" for an over-cammed car, plus they are very noisy and reduce horsepower.... Any thoughts on the validity of this statement... I thought they would work well in my low compression application with one of the Hughes High Lift cams ... (HE3038BL)...
Old 05-29-2001, 04:23 PM

Crane makes a better fast bleed lifter.

As far as being a bandage, I have to agree. It is a temporary solution until you decide to rebuild the engine.

I have used the Rhoads lifters before. They are no louder than a mechanical valve train. They also helped my low end torque.

You won't get the full potential of the cam, with them either. You also won't get the full potential of the cam, if you don't have enough compression. The Rhoads will make a bigger cam streetable, as well.
Old 05-29-2001, 04:24 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

IMOP, Dave Huges wants to sell you a cam. He does have a point about the "Band Aid" comment. Doing it right the first time is the right way. Finding you made a mistake and correcting it with Roads or other lifter is not the way you intended it to work.
I have run them before. The are a little noisey. Not bad. You'll notice it. Its not like a thought interupting noise, but its there at low RPM.
The lifter does pose an interesting way to malipulate a cam though. Low lift and duration at idle to pump up, then a restoreing of full lift and duration later on in the RPM range.
You could even mix in a higher ratio rocker arm. (New valve springs may be needed for the new lift.)
As far as HP loss, I have not had the pleasure of testing them at a track or on a dyno. The did help out a engine I kind of over cammed in the past. Easyer starts and low end torque were the result.
Old 05-29-2001, 04:52 PM

Unhappy Bandaid...

Well I am kind of looking for a bandaid for my motor... (440 punched .040 over)....It's got those stinkin 9:1 TRW Flat-top pistons (Really about 8:1) and I'm not pulling those slugs till next year since the motor is fairly new... Have a set of new 906 Stage II ported heads (2.14/1.81) and would like to make them flow with a higher lift cam... The Hughes cam is nice because is has less duration than the Mopar Cams (Build Cylinder Pressure a bit more).... So I thought to help increase low-end torque that these lifters might help in some small way... Did you say Crane has some better lifters for this application?

Tell me more???
Old 05-29-2001, 07:44 PM
Inactive User

I run the Crane lifters on my Dart, they give it a smoother idle and better low end power and still give full duration at top end, they don't seem to make any extra noise that I can hear. I would run them again if I built another engine.