Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-21-2001, 10:48 AM
Inactive User

Default Edelbrock Idle Compensator

Has anyone out there had any experience with this device? I installed one and expected when I hit the AC that this would raise the idle slightly. What I found was the selenoid wasn't strong enough to do squat. I called Edelbrock and the first guy told me that it should in fact be very strong, strong enough to overcome the return spring. I exchanged the selenoid, and the second one was just as weak. I called Edelbrock and the second guy starts mealy mouthing me on how it shouldn't increase the idle when I first activate the ac it is only supposed to be strong enough to hold the linkage after you accelerate then come back to idle... HUH! if the thing isn't strong enough to overcome the idle spring (which is not very strong) how can it hold back the linkage after accelerating? I'm confused I'm I missing something?
Old 06-21-2001, 06:20 PM
Inactive User

Post Holds it

The solenoids are designed to hold, not move. The design allows a strong holding force, but a weak pushing force. This is also true for all of the factory solenoids that I have seen on carburetor cars. A lot of "foot brake" cars use these solenoids to up their launch rpm consistantly.

Billy
Old 06-21-2001, 11:12 PM
Inactive User

Cool

The idle compensater is in fact used to cushion the throttle return to help cars with cams not stahl easily.What you may want is a solonoid from a newer chrysler which will hold the idle up when the AC is on,GM uses this as well on all the trucks and cars from the mid 70s up to late 80s.Simply tie it to the clucth coil to activate.
Old 06-22-2001, 10:09 AM
Inactive User

Default Thanks

Thanks for the input! the problem was I was not allowing the plunger to come out all the way. The plunger will lock once it is fully extended. What I had to do was adjust the plunger away from the linkage so that it was about .100" then when I come off idle slightly it would extend the last .100 and lock. Thanks again for the help.