Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Car Audio Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-21-2001, 11:45 AM
Get out of my WAY!!!!

Default MP3 decks

Anyone have experience with those MP3 decks like the one from Kenwood or Sony? My blaupunkt deck is acting up, constant fuzzy when playing radio, but none when playing cd. Maybe it is just nothing wrong, but I really like those MP3 decks.

Scott
Old 06-21-2001, 11:49 AM
Get out of my WAY!!!!

Default What about this???

I have the Blaupunkt CDC-A08 changer too, can this be hooked up to any other aftermarket decks, like the kenwood MP3 or the Sony MP3 decks?

Scott
Old 06-22-2001, 08:31 PM

I install them all the time.

Kenwood has two of them out now. They had one out before these two (Z929)

Then Kenwood KDC-MP8017 is a Fairly good unit. It only has two pre-outs and they are not 4volt. The Reading of MP3 encoded disks is alittle slower then the Z929 but on this one you can fast forward though MP3 tracks unlike the onld Z929.

Kenwood also has a high end model Z828 which replaces the 929. Its the "eXelon" edition and has all the bells and whistle and even a hella cool display. The new fold down face is alot faster then the older models too!

I haven't put in the sony yet but it looks like a pretty good unit.

JVC has a cool new unit that plays MP3's The KD-SH99 looks totally different then the other JVC's(which is good cause I am not a fan of JVC)

Alpine has awsome MP3 deck the CDA-7868. Its not out yet but expect it to be around 1000 smackers. I will be getting this one unless Kenwood makes a MP3 changer.

Aiwa makes a MP3 player also but I don't like them, but thats jus me.

If you search for "MP3" you can pull up some more infor I posted awhile ago about adding aux inputs to old radios such as MP3 players, DVD, VCR and stuff.

It all depends on how much you wanna spend.
Old 06-29-2001, 11:26 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

I have the Kenwood 8017 and love it! It sounds great (compared to my old Kenwood) I only paid $269 for it with free shipping. I am still learning the features on it, but I like what I have so far! I wasn't wanting to spend alot, so it was the perfect deck for me. I don't need 4v preouts or all that other stuff

It is a great, cheap, mp3 deck... 2 thumbs up from me!
Old 07-09-2001, 08:37 PM
Get out of my WAY!!!!

Where did you get it so cheap? I want one now

Scott
Old 07-14-2001, 09:42 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by schach23
Where did you get it so cheap? I want one now

Scott

they dropped the price down $10

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/sbhenterprises/kdcmp.html
Old 07-19-2001, 12:52 PM
Inactive User

Exclamation IMHO...don't do an MP3-deck yet

This is just my opinion...

For the price/performace of the MP3 decks now available I would consider the following...

How easily can you find tracks/playlists on a small lcd on the deck (especially while driving)?

You have to have a CD-burner to make the discs anyway, why not just make Audio CD's that play in just about all in-dash CD players? This also opens up alot of options for the brand/features available to you.

CD-R's are so cheap now that Best Buy reqularly has the 50 disc spools for $20 or less. Also, some decks come with a second input that you can plug a portable MP3 player or (God Forbid) a walkman into.

I was considering the MP3 decks when I got a Kenwood deck for my truck. I went into Circuit City with a couple of burned discs and tried all the plaers on display and had no problems playing the CD on any of them.

Also, as far as plugging a Blaupunkt changer into a Kenwood head unit.....probably not going to work....most brands do a proprietary connection between the head and the changer....FM modulated may work, but then you lose the controlling feature in the head unit.

Like I said, just my opinion.
Old 07-21-2001, 01:02 AM
Inactive User

good points..some I considered too

I like the mp3 deck cause it was cheap, I needed a new deck and it looks sweet. I can put up to 253 songs on 1 disc. I have every cd I have ever owned in mp3 format, and it is maybe 15 disc. Now I don't have to carry around 2 100 disc notebooks anymore =]

One thing I don't like is finding songs.. it is a PITA to find the song you want on a disc with 180 songs on it! But I really never read the instructions, so I don't know how to search

Another good thing is they don't skip, since the song is loaded into onboard mem for playback (or so I have been told)

I make disc's in .wav format for my wife to use in here car, but they wouldn't play on my old kenwood.
Old 07-21-2001, 12:36 PM
Get out of my WAY!!!!

Yeah, I got it installed yesterday, there are a few search options, but I doubt it is any better. What I would suggest is making a master list of your songs. Now this may take time, but it might be worth while.

Scott
Old 07-23-2001, 01:19 AM
Inactive User

Default clarion too

Clarion just released a new mp3 deck too, it's 399 at crutchfield but you can probably find it for less than that I would think.
It's the Clarion dzx815mp.

- Luke
Old 08-02-2001, 03:43 PM
Inactive User

i have the sony xplod in my duster i love it 700 megs of music on one cd....you cant beat it plus it plays regular cd's,the unit itself is 50wx4 so it puts out some nice sound even unamped...but who wants unamped? lol the sony comes with a little remote which i thought was nice of them plus it shows the title of the song playing so searching isnt much trouble and you can folder your stuff on the disc meaning you can put tom petty in one section skip to sublime... categorize it basically. i never thought id be able to put 5 paul oakenfold sets on one cd.... im in love with mine
Old 08-02-2001, 03:47 PM
Inactive User

oh and it retails for something like 399 but i got it for 300
Old 08-02-2001, 04:45 PM
Inactive User

If I were buying one, there are two that stand out right now, value wise. The cheaper Kenwood and the JVC. The JVC is probably the best HU they have ever made. Good quality, good sound, IMO great looks, good ergonomics.

The Clarion should also be very nice.