Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-22-2001, 02:21 PM

Default 7.2 liter Magnum V8 heads

I've always wondered why somebody doesn't come out with a set of heads for the B/RB engines that uses the same technology as the later generation 5.2/5.9 Magnum heads. Basically just make the same evolutionary changes to the big block heads as have been made to the small block heads. The new smallblock heads are so much more efficient than the stuff from the 60's it's not funny, and their increased efficiency allows more power combined with better gas mileage and lower emissions... and the development costs for the new heads would be fairly low since it's already been done before on the smallblocks. Maybe we could petition Mopar Performance since they have direct access to the engineering history and records pertaining to the changes that occurred in the smallblocks.
Old 06-22-2001, 03:39 PM
Inactive User

Default Magnum BB Heads

I don't think all the efficiency gains are just in the head. I'd give the biggest gains to EFI and computer mapping the fuel and ignition timing curves. I doubt that Mopar would ever do that to an engine that went out of production in 1978. Most hot rodders don't care about the fuel efficiency and wouldn't be willing to put millions in developing those items.
Old 06-22-2001, 04:08 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

With the same Tech to make the engine environmentally friendly you cna make the car BLAZINGLY fast..Its all about how much you burn and how clean you do it. its all the same except for the cam and computer calibration...I dont see why they wouldnt do it. They probably already have. MP has some good,new heads dont they?
Old 06-24-2001, 05:17 PM
Inactive User

It's been done (sort of) look at the Brodix B-1 B/S heads These are street/strip heads. These have high swirl heart shaped 65cc (small) combustion chambers, raised exhaust ports, and pretty straight, well shaped, high velocity intake port. They still use shaft mounted rockers (I think they are better than the stud mounted system), but they require an offset intake rocker arm. A good/bad point is that they still oil the rocker assembly like a stock head so they are a really easy bolt on, but the oiling path may limit the amount the heads can be ported.
The heads can be ported pretty well and by the time the oiling path becomes a problem, you probbly are building an engine that could use "real race heads". I have seen 800+ HP engines with these heads on them, Koffels sells a 670+ HP Crate engine using these heads.
Old 06-25-2001, 01:10 PM

Are the Brodix heads aluminum or iron? Roughly how much a set? Know a URL where I could get some more info? They sound like they're worth looking into.
Old 06-25-2001, 04:29 PM
Inactive User

That's what I'm running on my 451 Stroker, but I had to use dished pistons to keep compression down to a pump friendly 11.0:1
They are aluminum.
I think Brodix may mention them on their web page, but you really need to contact Koffels Place since they really were the driving force behind the heads.
I haven't checked prices lately, but they used to be $2,000 set assembled, but no rocker gear.
When I bought my heads, I got
Basic Head Package $1,980
Stage 1 porting $500 (I think that was the cost?)
1.6:1 ratio aluminum roller rockers and shafts $300 (a good deal when bought with the heads.)
ARP head stud kit $130
Cut to length pushrods $100
Spark plugs ($4 / each) $32
Plus shipping
I think the entire package was about $3,000

You will probbly need the head bolt kit, pushrods, and maybe rocker arms for probbly any of the aluminum heads (MP stage VI, Indy S/R, Indy 440-1, etc.)

I also forgot to mention the B-1 B/S heads relocated the spark plug location so it is near the center of the head (more like a small block.)
This is why it uses the 3/4" long reach, small hex, short "peanut" racing style spark plugs (Champion C63YC if I correctly re-call.)