Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Drag Racing Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-24-2001, 03:05 AM
Inactive User

Default Christopher, Racers:Am I Crazy??

Guy's,
My Superstreet (NHRA) program has been moving along nicely, with my 2800lb. 70 Challenger with 440. A new Edelbrock headed, ultadyne solid cammed, 440 is nearing completion, that will require a throttle stop. I've been running right at the number and adding weight with the current combo, but extra mph will be nice. I have no desire to run Super Gas...but have always wanted a NHRA "class car".
Last year I went so far as to purchase a 66 Coronet Wagon from my brother..it is an exellantly restified example with cruise, A/C, and 360 4 barrell, and I located several 273 2bbl engines and a low gearset 904 was purchased to build and the plan was to convert the car to U/SA and race in the bottom of Stock eliminator to get my feet wet and see if I could hang with those guys....Then NHRA lowered the HP on the 273, and put the wagon out of business by allowing the 2dr. cars in U!! I considered purchasing an A body or B body 2dr. but to be truthfull I can't get excited about a smallblock car. My heart has always been in big blocks...but In Stock all the BB cars are crowded into 4 or 5 extremely tough, extremely competitive classes which I can't see attempting.
Then I looked in the back yard at the 69 Roadrunner, which was my bracket car in the early 90's and is the Ex-Rusty Butterworth "SuperChicken", and still proudly has "AHRA Record Holder 73,74,75&77 on both flanks! I had a certifiable cage put in it with front bars about 5 years ago, and haven't touched it since I got the Challenger...anyway my Dream that is so dear I was afraid to consider has always been SuperStock....Ok, now ya know I'm nuts!!
A 440 6pack B/SA Challenger goes 10.30's to be competitive, and I've seen good examples of the same car running 9.90's to 10.0's in SS/FA, so I'm thinkin, maybe it would be a better combo for my RR to run in SS/GA, than C/SA in stock!!!!
I Know if I went on the Stock/SuperStock board and said I think it may be easier to compete in a middle SS class as opposed to the top 3 stock classes, I'd get flamed so bad I could never go back but I think it just may be the case!!!
Lynn Ellison just won the SS title at the Nat's in an SS/FA Camaro that was running 10.30's, because He went through elims. without hitting a car in the same class(He also went Thru Fletcher, so thats some tallented driving). Anyway, I really feel that this could be a viable option, the car only needs steel bumper's to be legal bodywise. It needs back suspension re-done but my best friend owns a Chassis Shop(he did the cage), I've located a lightweight SS 727 from an ex-racer, the New stageV heads are Legal, and my other best friend is a machinist of some repute. (If you're serious about drag racing, it helps to choose freinds wisely and treat them well!!!) I realize this is a long term project that may take two years to get running and several more to get comfortably under the index, but do you think it's truly viable?? I'm 36, got 18 years of Drag racing under my belt, and I've carried this dream for a long time, So should I act on it, or am I in over my head...I respect those guys so much that failure would kill me, but if I ever do it's got to be now!
I can probably put 10 to 15gs in it over the next 2 years, and hopefully drag a brother or two into the deal..what do ya think???
Old 06-24-2001, 08:42 AM

Thumbs up Do it

Sounds like a do able plan Mopar Billy, you have experiance, ablity to learn and adapt by the sounds of it. Most of all, your are the right age with the energy.The plan you have can be fleshed out better with the help of others on this board. ..and Most of all you have support from family members ,weither it be brothers or wife and your children...
Better to grow old with Good memories ; Then old with regrets...
GO FOR IT !
Old 06-24-2001, 10:43 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Go for it, you'll never know what you missed if you don't take a chance, stock or super stock, after all when you get into eliminations is nothing but a bracket race until you have to run a car in your class. It's real competitive but that brings out the best in everybody. Realize your dream, you may not get another chance, I did and enjoyed it while it lasted, but it got so expensive, I could not enjoy it, now I just bracket race locally, and I am having fun again. GO FOR IT
Old 06-24-2001, 03:24 PM

Default class racing

Go for it in Stock, but cautiously. I did in IHRA after 20+ yeras of bracket only and love it.(except the costs)
Too bad IHRA is even further away from AZ than where I live because of all the Pure Stock and crate motor combos available!

One nice thing about a 273 wagon is that it can almost hook in a mud hole with all the weight out back!

Good luck!

Myron
Old 07-01-2001, 10:47 PM
Inactive User

Default Stocker

I'd go for it too. As you know I too was looking at a 273 A-body deal,but the car slipped away.Then I thought about a crate motor deal,but then looked at what I had here at the house.My 70 Road Runner. Fits real well into IHRA Pure Stock class,so that is where I'm heading.
Old 07-01-2001, 11:28 PM
Inactive User

Kinda off a subject but their is a guy here in town that is building a early A body. i think it is a 64 or 65. It has a full chasis under it. The motor is a 273 injected alchol blower motor. THe car is going to be done this summer. He is expecting it to run low 8's. Look for it at Norwalk.
Old 07-02-2001, 09:47 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up STOCKERS ARE WAY COOL!

Run the Road Runner as a STOCKER! Hey if you don't want to run into other cars in your class, why noy run the car with a Jerico 4 speed? Then you could run in C/S. Not alot of cars out west running sticks. The sticks can be just as consistant as a auto, just ask Kevin Helms. He has won the US National 2 years in a row running a 4 speed. I know this is not everyones option but it is different and alot of "FUN".
Old 07-02-2001, 02:15 PM
Inactive User

As a stocker the bird will fit into two of the toughest classes being contested today,,B-C/SA,,With NHRA's soft combo's on the new Fireturd;s and Camaro's why do it there,,These electronic computerized rockets can tune and demolish the current indexes at will,,A very good example to that is what "Pancho Villa" Al Corda did at the Top Stock shootout last year,,These cars have the ability to run way under at will and make our cars obsolete,,My A/SA project has been shelved till NHRA does something about it,,As for superstock,well that is an option,,remember this though wheelbase is not in your favor with the RR but,it will work,,There are by no means easy cars in SS/FA or SS/GA,,Many heavy hitters are flying in FA with everyboby chasing Gene McBean's Stang and Bob Hertline's Camaro is as bad as any GA cars around,,To set the car up and make it work you have alot of research to do,email me and I'll give you some of what I went thru getting my 6bbl Challengers deal to fly in SS/FA and SS/GA,,So my answer is Superstock,and your correct about the thrashing you'd get on the S/SS page
Old 07-02-2001, 08:37 PM
Inactive User

Default Road Runner stocker

I'd do the stocker,but go as a IHRA car.You can also try their crate motor class with a 440.No 440 here for right now,I'm going to try this with the 383,and no NHRA. This is going to be a IHRA pure stock deal.And pure stock means just that!! You are allowed a few nice parts,such as converters,slicks, headers(must use mufflers),but it's really a OEM type of class.Cuts the costs down and forces you to tune the car,just like in the old days of stock.I would run the 4-speed,but I get more contengency money with a 727.But if you already have the 440,go for it.I know exactly what you are talking about,I'm 39 and finally getting to do a class car,after 20 years of waiting.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:01 PM
Inactive User

[QUOTE=MoparBilly G;166412]Guy's,
Then I looked in the back yard at the 69 Roadrunner, which was my bracket car in the early 90's and is the Ex-Rusty Butterworth "SuperChicken", and still proudly has "AHRA Record Holder 73,74,75&77 on both flanks!
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Anybody got pics of the Superchicken? I think I've heard of it, but not sure. Is it the same as the ThunderChicken...black I think. Ran out of Tulsa, OK?
Old 06-06-2011, 11:46 AM

I looked at the SS class with my Cuda. It turned out I had too much firewall mod, but I did learn that B and E body cars with big blocks would definatly be at a disadvantage by the weight rules. (Nearly impossible in the A-B classes. But of course with alot of cubes you would have no choice) It seemed to me that the SS program favors new(er) and smaller car and engine combos. But Stock Eliminator. If you do some research and find a class that is "targetable" (For lack of a better word) It's do-able. The Road Runner, is that a 383? If I remember my research on Stock and Super Stock a smart and well built 383 seemed to be the best big block option. Especally if you know a Mopar (Cylinder Head) guy who knows the Stock/Super Stock tricks. The Stocker rule section is the thickest, and is full of "What you can't do". The Super Stock rules (I think) is even worst. I just found the whole Stock/Super Stock thing to be over my head. But if you have the patience and conviction. Could be fun.