Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-21-2000, 09:10 PM
Inactive User

Whatcha guys (and Gals) think?

My dad put a 4 bbl on my '71 318 dart for me this summer and now I have money saved for dumping my log manifolds. I already have dual exaust, and I was wondering what people think of Hooker Comp. headers versus Headman Street headers. The notes for the Hookers say that A/T column linkage is okay, but the Headmans say it may need altered. I am assuming this means dings in the pipes, but I was looking for a little real-world opinions before I slap down my hard earned dough. I figure that my most restrictive spot right now is the stock manifolds, so its time to upgrade. I dont want to do any alterations to my linkage. I am basically looking for the least hastle, as this is my daily driver to and from my college campus.

For some background, this is a basically stock (12K miles on the rebuild) '68 mill with an M-1 dual plane and the 625 cfm Carter AFB, a three angle valve job, electronic ignition and duals.

Thanks in advance, I love this place!

dartboy71

[This message has been edited by dartboy71 (edited September 22, 2000).]
Old 09-21-2000, 09:30 PM
Inactive User

DartBoy: I have been through the same thing. I am currently running the Headman headers on my '70 Dart with a 360. All of the headers for the A-Body A-engine combo have two tubes that run below the centerlink on the drivers side, except the TTI headers. These are the way to go. They also allow for the easy change of the starter without unbolting header. They are expensive, but they are worth every penny. Check out their site and let me know what you think.
http://www.ttiexhaust.com/

These are worth it, a little expensive, but worth it in the end.
Old 09-22-2000, 12:54 AM
Inactive User

Yea, Dart, I really like the look and specs of the TTI systems, but I am in school right now and I dont want to buy those ones until I can get a big block to put in my dart after I get a job. I am looking for less restriction with some headers I dont expect to last more than 4 years.

dartboy71
Old 09-22-2000, 04:56 AM
Inactive User

I just called dynomax today and they said their sb a-body headers dont run under the steering, i kind of didnt believe the the guy cause i thought tti was the only ones.
maybe he was looking at wrong application or something or maybe he is right. Its worth checkin into more bacause they are only $95 painted or $195 coated. Thats a darn good price!!
http://www.dynomax.com

later,

bbd
Old 09-22-2000, 05:03 AM
Inactive User

So dart, what kinda tranny linkage are you running off now with the hedmans, or did you have a factory console shifter?

------------------
73 Charger 400
94 ZJ Limited 318
Old 09-22-2000, 05:40 AM
Inactive User

dartboy 71,I have put 91-92 dakota shorty hdrs on 2 diff A-bodies w/318-360 w/no probs!!theyre easy to install,dont produce half the floorboard heat,dont sacrifice ground clearance either.They cost $195 from jegs.U dont get all the hp poss like w/full length hdrs but they do increase power and are simple..........PRO....
Old 09-22-2000, 02:21 PM
Inactive User

Crazy - I have a column shift in my Dart. The transmisson kick down is the 3 piece unit. It all clears nicely, but the starter is a pain to remove...
Old 09-23-2000, 01:02 AM

Hey Dartboy, I can respect your cash situation and If this is any help for you, I have a brand new set of hookers that I'm getting tired of moving around my garage and have never been mounted. I'm going to go with the TTI's so I'd be glad to let you have them for 75.00 if this helps you out. Feel free to give me a holler off line if you want. Good luck on your search.

------------------
Old 09-24-2000, 08:51 AM

Hi dartboy71:

My experience with headers that I've run the thorley headers (part #351). They don't hang down, the flanges are thick and nickle chrome plated, are priced reasonable under $400 for the set. They are easy to install also. TTi makes a good quality set of headers from what I've seen.

Denny
Old 09-25-2000, 07:39 AM
Inactive User

What is your main concern with the under steering headers? In my case the only bad thing was that they were pretty near to the ground and could actually hit in extreme conditions. Anyway, I wleded two skid plates to the K-member that extended a little lower than the lowest primary, and never had problems with the headers again.