Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-22-2000, 09:37 PM
Inactive User

Question

I've read a few post about 318 heads that came on mid 80's and above mopars that has a 302 casting. I have a 73 Scamp with a 318 that I am trying to get a little more takeoff power. I already bought an 8 3/4 sure grip rear end, and replaced the 2 barrel carb with a Edelbrock performer, and 600 cfm holly. I also had dual exhaust with Pak 2 mufflers put on a couple months ago. The car already had a 340 cam when I got it.
Will those heads I mentioned above help much, and how much should I expect to pay for them?
Also I have been reading about stall converters. I'm not really sure what they do exactly. Should I look into one of these? I'm not trying to make a car for the strip, but it would sure be nice to get some of the tangs around here, or least keep up a little more on takeoff. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2000, 08:27 AM
Inactive User

Cool

The heads they are referring to use swirl port tech. and have a semi heart shaped combustion chamber. Can't remember the cating # but I will get it for you. I know the '87 318 engines had them. I shall return....tomorrow.
Thunderhead
Old 09-23-2000, 06:05 PM
Inactive User

The casting number is "302" late model 318 engines. I run these on my 318 that I circle track race. Mill the heads to bring up compression abit 9.0 to 9.5 is ok. My motor is 9.5 and we run on pump gas. Price wise you might pay $200.00 for the set. Go to the junk yard and don't let them know how much you want these heads. I bought a set for 75.00 cuz it's Dodge stuff and doesn't sell to well. Check the heads for cracks though.

Michael
Old 09-23-2000, 09:07 PM
Inactive User

I just got a set of #302 heads for my 79 318. They cost me $125, cleaned and checked for cracks, burnt valves, etc. The great thing is that unless they are a Mopar or 318 afficianado, they won't know the difference between these and garden variety earlier heads. Check especially yards that cater to trucks or vans. That was where I found mine at. I will be posting later on about how they work. cruzerjd
Old 09-24-2000, 01:48 AM
Inactive User

Question

I didn't get to go out an look for any today. Our football game lasted longer than I had anticipated. We have 2 teachers work days this week though.
Is there a way I can identify those swirl port heads by just looking at them while their still on a car? Do I look for a casting number that ends in 302? Thanks for the help.
Old 09-24-2000, 06:11 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

TeddyG, 9dodge is right. I forgot to find out where the #'s are on them. Sorry. If nobody else answers it for you I will have it for you Monday.
Thunderhead
Old 09-24-2000, 07:41 AM
Inactive User

Pull the valve cover and the casting #'s will be cast into the top of the head I believe it is below the #3 or #6 intake valve spring. You cant miss it. It does end in 302. IF the motor you are pulling them off of has the exhaust manifolds removed you can also look for the air injection holes below the exhaust ports. These can be effectively plugged off with either a small hex head screw or epoxy them closed. Good luck cruzerjd
Old 09-25-2000, 05:22 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Thanks cruzerjd. I will go look this week. As you all have said I don't think i will have any problem finding them. I will take them to the machine shop and have them shaved, and anything else they need. This will be my first attempt at replacing a major engine part. Before, and when I start I will be back too ask questions about anything I'm not sure about. Thanks again everyone.
Old 09-25-2000, 07:45 AM
Inactive User

Are you sure about the casting number? I have heard that there is no casting number in top of the 302 heads intake runners, it's only in the deck side?
Old 09-25-2000, 08:17 AM
Inactive User

Question

OK. Can someone tell me a specific year(s) and model(s) I can find these heads on? I would bet some of the local yards have cars with these heads on them, but I about know they won't have any idea that they do have them. It will be up to me to find them.
Old 09-25-2000, 05:41 PM
Inactive User

They were available on 85-89 (I believe) 318's. The set I have has the casting #'s on the top of the #1 intake runner on one side and and on the bottom (deck side) on the other side strangly only one of them has the casting on top. The combustion chamber is very unique aand has a definate heart shape. When I went to work ont cleaning and port matching these heads I noticed that they have excellent casting inside the ports and didn't need much work to clean up. cruzerjd