Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-25-2001, 11:02 PM
Inactive User

Question Anything new on the NEW HEMI??

I have not been keeping up with the latest on what Maw MoPar is up to with the new Hemi.
Are they still talking about heading for production with it or is Diamler going to Gut Chrysler and start producing V1 and V2 terror weapon rockets?
Old 06-26-2001, 01:44 AM
Inactive User

It's SUPPOSED to be mid 2002 introduction. Car and Truck Mag just did a story on it. I posted last month on the Dakota forum about it...got told I was nuts. The problem is the short-stroke design engines (like the 5.2 and 5.9) don't meet emissions standards well. The Germany guys have canned (for now) a 6.1L Hemi, which is stupid, because gov. agencies require 6L+ engines in 12 passenger vans.So the 5.8(353cid) Hemi should be a mid-year replacement for the 5.9.There is also talk(serious) of a V-4 based on the new 4.7 V-8.It would "package" better in a new series of Neon type cars and "Micro-Vans" like the old Colt things. If the engine was stood with one bank of cylinders straight up, it would also help with impact protection, which is becoming a bigger deal than CAFE.
Old 06-26-2001, 01:59 AM
Inactive User

If I am not mistaken the engine in the 300M has hemi heads on it. I might be wrong and tell me if I am but I believe they have the same basic design for better flow and burn.
Old 06-26-2001, 02:07 AM
Inactive User

Well, kinda yes and kinda no. The 300M has a four valve head so really it can't be a true Hemi. The idea behind a Hemi head is to get the largest valves(2) possible into the head.But you're correct in that it's a high swirl head, which always gives higher effiency. BTW, the Mercedes division sells a 6(!) valve per cylinder head on the little roadster in Europe. It's under 3 L and makes about 300HP at 12,000 RPM! Talk about scream!
Old 06-26-2001, 08:56 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

A HEMI head is one that chamber wise, looks like a ball cut in half. Not about how many valves you can stuff in it.
Old 06-26-2001, 02:46 PM
Inactive User

This website is THE place for Chrysler product information. The 5.7 had some problems with the cam bearing/webbing strength and had to be re-worked. The Toluca (Si Senior, Mexico) plant is handling the production. Aparrantly this is the most advanced engine plant that Chrysler owns. Chek it out...

http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz.htm
Old 06-26-2001, 09:24 PM
Inactive User

Default Cool SITE.........good info

OK, but are they going to offer the new Hemi in any production CARS??? Or is that out of the question now?
BTW...... Is it just me or is that new Jeep Liberty ugly as sin or what? What are they thinking? Are they trying to do another Pontiac Aztek ?
Old 06-27-2001, 12:07 AM
Inactive User

Dr.R the guys from Stuggart cancelled the "Copperhead" project, a front engined RWD sedan to get the cop car market. I wish I had the bucks to buy Chrysler back from DB. If you used some sense, you could make a bunch o'bucks. The Germans fired (Hummel) the PT cruiser guy....everyone says the PT is the biggest thing since the Mustang.
Old 06-27-2001, 10:17 AM
Inactive User

Nothing on putting the 5.7 in a car. I did hear that the Intrepid was to get another makeover and that is was to be redone as a RWD. I would think the 5.7 would be part of that, but who knows at this point. The police parket is potentially very lucrative, but they will need to pull their heads out.
Old 06-27-2001, 03:03 PM
Inactive User

Here is the summary on the 5.7 from the Buzz site:

One of the most asked questions has been "where's the HEMI?" Back in October of 1999 Buzz Watch broke the story that the new Ram would be powered by all new 5.7 and 6.1 liter HEMI V8s. The good news is that the all new HEMI engine will in-fact be part of the power train line-up. The bad news is that your going to have to wait until model year 2003 to get one.

Notice that I said "get one" instead of the "get them," the 6.1 liter engine that was planned for the truck line was canceled last year. Know internally as the 440 HEMI (though 6.1 does not equal 440cid), this engine was identical to the 5.7 (besides the displacement). Apparently, the brass felt that the engine was unnecessary and went against the companies engine reduction plans.

Dodge had initially planned to begin offering the 5.7 liter HEMI half way through the 2002 model year. Back in March of 2000 Buzz Watch reported that the Saltillo engine plant that will build the engine would begin production late in the last quarter of 2001. The introduction was bumped forward due to some technical problems with the early pre production test engines.

The new HEMI's weigh less and are more compact than the current 5.9 liter V8. To achieve the weight savings the engines use aluminum heads on a cast iron. Early in the development of the motor, they had problems with the block not being strong enough. When they'd torque down the head bolts, it would warp the cam bearings and cause cam shaft failure. Dodge engineers remedied the problem, but the re engineering process put the new engine's development program behind schedule.

Which explains why the engine won't be showing up until 2003. The majority of these engines will be used in the 2500/3500 trucks though I've heard that a limited number may be available in the 1500. Which brings me to another frequently asked question. "Will there be a Ram R/T?"

While I have yet to track down the answer to this one I'm fairly sure that down the line we will be seeing a HEMI powered half-ton Ram Sport R/T. I'd guess this will show up once HEMI engine production reaches full capacity.

Buzz Patrollers who've driven 5.7 HEMI equipped Rams' report that it's a phenomenal engine, delivering tons of low end torque and quiet but responsive performance at highway speeds. It will definitely be worth the wait. The 5.7 has a single camshaft with two valves per cylinder and two spark plugs per cylinder. The Buzz is that the production engine will put out 350 horsepower and over 400 lb ft of torque!

Current plans call for all of the truck HEMI's to be built at Dodge's Saltillo, Mexico engine plant. The aluminum cylinder heads will be supplied by Nemak SA of Monterrey, Mexico. It's estimated that DC will build over a quarter of a million of these engines annually. The ancient 5.9 (360cid) liter V8 will continue to be used throughout 2003.

I hope I've answered most of your 2002 (and beyond) Ram questions. If there's something you're dying to know that I didn't cover feel free to drop me a note. Or better yet take a trip to your local Dodge dealership. They've recently received ordering information on the Ram and should be able to answer your questions regarding options and availability.