Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-26-2001, 06:21 PM
Inactive User

Default Timing / Advance question

Apologies in advance if this has been posted in the past; the search wasn't working for me at this moment.

I recently checked the timing on my 74 Charger 360 (all stock) and found it to be off. The initial timing was at 0 deg. and only advanced to 15 deg.

I reset it to 5 deg initial and it now shows a max of 25 deg. This seems pretty low. I'm not sure what the RPM is at max advance yet.

I have a set of springs I want to try on but if the advance isn't able to go beyond 25 deg, but would rather make sure that the full advance (I'm guessing 30 - 35 deg. would be about right) is possible before I start tinkering with the curve.

Can anyone tell me what max advance should be for this motor, as well as what the curve should be? Keep in mind this is a street car, stock crank and heads, TQ carb, stock ignition.

moparmarc
Old 06-26-2001, 07:38 PM
Inactive User

Smile

In my opinion the max timing you would want would be around 36 degres total timing. You should get the distributor set up to have all the timing in around 3000 rpm give or take a few hundred rpm. This is good for the street. You might have to play with the timing a little depending on detonation, etc. Also, depending how accurate the timing mark is on the balancer you might want to tune around the 36 degrees some (ie take a few out or add a few in) to see what the engine wants/likes. That is the way you tune your own car. You have to test different settings for timing and fuel mixture to see what the engine really wants.