Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-19-2000, 04:55 AM
Inactive User

Ok, I got the point, driven in to me by a Buick, that my stock 340 exhaust manifolds don't cut it. I threw away a set of cheap headers 'cause they were loud, scraped the ground, and gave off tons of heat. Is there a decent set of headers for a small block 73 cuda that doesn't have those problems? P.S. I love the rumble at idle, but don't miss the roar at cruisin speeds...
Old 09-19-2000, 10:47 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Headers will always rumble when compared to manifolds. <G> My '73 fish is sporting Hooker Super comps. They are still low, but not like the street header.
They will also give of a lot of heat , so, you may want to look into a header coating to help out. Wrap your starter up. I used some old header wrap from a racecar.. Starts EVERY time. No heat soak. Something under your feet to reflect the heat is a good idea to.
To help in the interior, try moving the mufflers to where the resonators went. Now the sound is really behind you. Again, more sound deading equip. there if necc.
Let me know
Old 09-20-2000, 12:40 AM
Inactive User

rumbelfish when you refer to street headers are you refering to hooker comp. headers?
do the hooker comp. headers hang lower than the super comp.? i am also putting headers on my 340 challenger this winter i have heard good things about the TTI headers but the price is very high about 550.00 thru mancini. any body else have a good header that fits good for a good price?
Old 09-20-2000, 07:37 AM
Inactive User

I think almost all the small block 'B' and 'E' body headers hang low except for the TTI headers.

I know the TTI headers are expensive compared to the cheap Headman headers, and they are less than un-coated Hookers, but look at what you get from TTI:
1. They fit without killing ground clearance.
2. They use much thicker flanges and tubes so they will seal better, be quieter and last longer.
3. They are coated so they look better than painted headers and they will last longer.
4. They are a steped primary tube design which should produce more power than the single size tube headers.

If you compare TTI's prices to headers and exhaust systems that are avalable for newer cars and trucks like Camaros, Mustangs, and Ram pickups, the prices are not unreasonable.

TTI's prices just look expensive when you compare them to the old cheap headers which are difficult to seal and may only last 6-months.

On the other hand, if you plan to sell the car or only run the headers for a year or so, it may not be worth the investment in the more expensive headers.

Old 09-21-2000, 01:51 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Hey Challenger;
All street headers (1 5/8 tube size ) are of the same design that hang low. Hooker comp headers would be one of them. They run 3 tubes infront , then under the centerlink ,adjusting sleeve and inner tierod.
The 4th tube runs above the other 3. The steering parts, (said before) run through the hole created by the tubes.
Hooker in my experiance fit the best of the small tube street headers. To help with ground clearance, some have raised there front end, and or used a taller tire.
The super comps. hang low as well. Not a big diff. Although they hang low , they hang low farther back giving it a small advantage.
They cost about $300 through Summit racing.
Old 09-21-2000, 01:42 PM
Inactive User

Ok, now I know less than I did before. Does anyone actually HAVE TTI headers on their E-body?? I know all the other suck....
Old 09-22-2000, 09:10 PM

I have a 71 Challenger 340 and I'm having the TTI's put on as we speak. I tried Hedman and they were just horrible, I had to jack up the front end just to give me enough ground clearance and it made the car look so bad. Plus I hated the fact that it went under the steering linkage. It would hit it sometimes and just caused a huge headache getting them on. If you are going to keep the car for a while, put something good on it. Its cheaper than having to replace the crap headers every six months. Plus TTI's look really good and make your car stand out.
Old 09-24-2000, 02:15 AM
Inactive User

lemme know how it goes, eloyd....
Old 09-24-2000, 06:26 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs down

I'm sorry, I know this doesn't help but... The word "headers" and "decent" used together just make me LOL. I put Hookers on the wifes Dart and man they SUCK! Every little dip in the road and SCREECHHHHH!
I also know about the steering linkage clunk also. Block huggers I think are next on the list to try. Have you considered them? Better than stock without some of the hassles of full length headers. Just an idea! Good luck!
Thunderhead
Old 09-24-2000, 12:33 PM

Good post mtrv8n, now how about some of you big block guys. What headers have you had good success with? The headers on my 71 Chal 383 are rusted pretty bad, its got 94k on the odo, so I will probably stroke it this winter to 431ci. Sounds like the TTI work well, I know from racing sleds that ceramic coatings are definatly a good investment. Any info appreciated. Anybody ever seen a edel tm6 intake? Is it dual or single plane? My car has one and I'm thinking of changing it. <><
Old 09-25-2000, 08:07 AM
Inactive User

Hey Kingjr, I had one of those on my 383 in a 67 Monaco. It is a single plane and despite what people say (about single planes) it worked really well on this daily driver.
Thunderhead
Old 09-25-2000, 12:52 PM
Inactive User

I had my CPPA(TTI)1 3/4" headers modified for 440 B1-BS heads but they do hug the block and the floor pan!! Plenty of ground clearance. But I dont believe you can get anyting but the nichol-chrome plating. Pretty but does nothing for heat! Putting some alluminized heat shield under your feet(carpet) and on starter good ideas. Good luck!

------------------

BIG Block guys may also want to check out Schumacher Creative Serv. Their Tri-Y design is good and reported to be hassle free. Doug Thorley is another to look into.

[This message has been edited by montrose ram (edited September 25, 2000).]
Old 09-26-2000, 01:34 AM
Inactive User

Has anybody ever tried the dynomax headers? There some B/E body ones in my latest Jegs catalog that are jet-hot ceramic coated for around $170-180...I'm tempted, but how much do TTI's run for comparison?
Old 09-26-2000, 07:01 AM
Inactive User

Rob--You may be even more tempted as the TTIs run around $500.(uncoated) and I think close to $600.w/plating. I have no experience with dynomax but can only suggest one thing(from experience) make SURE the headers bolt on and fit perfectly BEFORE you have them coated or plated! Chances are you will have to "dimple" them in places and you dont want to deface a beautiful set of coated headers! Alot of places are selling the pre-coated headers(I for one bought a beautiful pair of Hooker Comp.s from Jet Hot--and then found out they wouldn't fit alluminum head raised port).

------------------

Old 09-26-2000, 09:27 PM

I just put TTI headers on my 340 Challenger and I love them. I was willing to pay the extra money because I know they will last and I didnt have to dimple or do anything else to get them to fit. And I dont have to worry about any steering linkage problems. So for me the money was worth it.