Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-05-2000, 12:17 AM
Inactive User

Unhappy

Broke in engine....changed oil. Heard a bit of rocker noise. Went to adjust rockers and I found anti-freeze mixed in with the oil. Could block or heads be cracked? I am hoping that the head gaskets are bad...
Old 09-06-2000, 02:27 PM
Inactive User

Is this an MP crate engine? If so DEMAND a replacement! They will tell you that they will only pay for parts if a Mopar dealer did not install it. That's BULL! Talk to a supervisor, and force your 90 warrantee on him. Tell them about your close relationship with all the guys online..*grin* and they don't want to hurt their reputations.
Old 09-07-2000, 07:44 AM
Inactive User

if this is a crate engine contact the cummins engine dept and talk personally to Rob Enright only,Ive had 3 bad mp engines and He has made it right with me,if not youll need to look at head gaskets or cracked heads,if its a small block it could even be your timing cover to block gasket....PRO...
Old 09-07-2000, 04:20 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

Holy cow pro..how many engines have you bought or does MP performance..ie Cummins suck that bad?
Old 09-25-2000, 03:56 AM
Inactive User

Holy S__t Dude.

You guys got me scared now, i'm putting a crate 360, the Magnum 300hp in my Lil Red Express next week. I better not see any water in the oil or its going back. i cant do it myself and ill have labor involved in the R&R. I'll put a damn 350 in it! i got mine at Summit racing, between the two warrenties i feel secure, but now paranoid. 3!!! different motors! I need some conversion info, reply if you are hip to pulling an LA 360 and replacing with a new MAgnum, thanks, and good luck man. I wouldn't stop till the new motor arrives.
Old 09-26-2000, 01:22 AM
Inactive User

Exclamation

Dumb Fu**ing Luck! A easy way to check the head gaskets is to start the engine-get it up to temp and pop the rad cap if you see lots of bubbles it's definitly a head gasket!!!!If notcheck heads and or block also use a pressure tester!
Old 09-26-2000, 04:47 AM
Inactive User

Call them quick!!!! Don't waste any time. Many people have been plauged with the same and other problems. Your first line should be the place you bought the motor.

In some cases they'll send you a new motor and let you keep the old one.

the best of luck to ya'..
ART

[This message has been edited by MopART (edited September 25, 2000).]
Old 09-26-2000, 12:29 PM
Inactive User

MY crate 360 popped right in with all accesories bolting right up where the old 340 was in my 73 e-body. Installation was a breeze.
Old 09-26-2000, 02:43 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by Maxwedge:
Holy cow pro..how many engines have you bought or does MP performance..ie Cummins suck that bad?
Pro is a hot rod mechanic ..

mtrv8n,
Did you buy this motor with a credit card? How long have you had it?

Old 09-26-2000, 05:49 PM
Inactive User

yes,mopart, with a credit card..why? do I get extra miles? It won't extend the warrantee if that's what you're thinking..because my card specifically does not cover purchases more than 100 miles from home! It's(the replacement) been in my cuda for a little over a year now, got about 3k street miles on it(I don't race..). I find it a VERY tractable motor, but thats with the 4-speed and a centerforce dual friction clutch. Then again, I used to race Two stroke motocross, so of course it feels torquey to me.
PS I run 5w50 synthetic oil and K&N oil filter/ edelbrock 800cfm carb/stock(included) ignition/accel coil and wires/holley fuel pump/ stock 73 340 exhaust manifolds and full stock exhaust/ 3:23 rear on 14x7 225-60 tires
Old 09-26-2000, 05:53 PM
Inactive User

ps..why is your friend selling the crate? Is he gonna build something with MORE power than the crate???????/ It's gonna have to run at 7-8 k rpm, and not last very long..but, I guess if you're racing, money is not the thing, eh?
Old 09-27-2000, 10:38 PM
Inactive User

I asked about the credit card b/c if you had trouble with the replacement, you could contest the charge but that's out.

My buddy is selling the crate b/c he felt like it would cost him more to upgrade the magnum to run in the 11's than it would be to put another 360 together. He already had a good block, crank, rods, pistons, intake and a set of ported "J" heads.

I think he thought that with some finess he could get some 11's out of that crate motor but it wasn't gonna happen. Alot of people get caught up in the almighty crate motors, but if you can build/assemble your own engines you can way overpower the crate motors for less $$. Don't get me wrong, the crate motors are a *GREAT* option for the guys that only can or want to drop a fairly stout engine in with minimal work. In short, I think that he was disappointed.

BTW, He called me and said that he ran a 9.90 in the 1000 ft on the "new" motor, but blew the front seal in the trans so they didn't even play with jetting, timing, or tire pressure. We figure that that's a good 11.70 in the 1/4. Not to mention it was spinning.

[This message has been edited by MopART (edited September 27, 2000).]