Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-30-2001, 09:54 PM
Inactive User

Question 98 318

I have a 72 duster could I use a 318 motor out of a 98 ram 1500 by just putting on a stock intake and ad electric fuel pump or is there a lot of work involved thanks
Old 06-30-2001, 10:01 PM
Inactive User

You have to use the magnum intake cause they bolt differnt then stock ones. But hey if you can get the motor why done you get all of the computers and stuff to and just put a full ingected motor in you Duster. It would be differnt. But as far at the switch and going back to carb motor i dont think it would be that hard.
Old 06-30-2001, 10:19 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by DartMan360
You have to use the magnum intake cause they bolt differnt then stock ones. But hey if you can get the motor why done you get all of the computers and stuff to and just put a full ingected motor in you Duster. It would be differnt. But as far at the switch and going back to carb motor i dont think it would be that hard.
I have the complete motor just no computer stuff
Old 06-30-2001, 10:48 PM
Inactive User

I dont think the Motor will run then. I do belive you need the computer for everything work rite. What all is connected to the motor that is electrical? To run the injection system im amost 100% sure you need the computer. All you can do is stick it in and find out.
Old 07-01-2001, 01:08 PM
Inactive User

Mopar sells an intake for a carburator that fits the magnum heads.
Also you can modify a stock intake to work on the magnum engine by slotting the manifold bolt holes up-down, and using special angle cut washer/adaptors? under the bolts.

The difference is the Magnum manifold has bolts that go straight in vertically (like a Ford) while the older engines the manifold bolted at an angle (perpendicular to the head, but more horizontaly angled then looking from the front of the engine.)

I think you will also need a new distrubitor as the computer controlled one has no mechanical or vacuum advance since it's computer controlled.
Old 07-01-2001, 08:21 PM
Inactive User

jims451 is right the only other thing you might have to change is the timing cover depending on the pulley system you use also use the older style flexplate without the triggering setup the balance is internal on the 318 so you dont have to worry about that.