Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-02-2001, 11:37 AM
Inactive User

Question roller rocker/ pushrod clearance on a 383

I recently had a friend put Crane Gold 1.6 roller rockers on my '70 Charger/383/auto along with a new Comp Cams Extreme Energy 274 cam. My mechanic/friend told me that he had to grind away at the heads a little where the pushrods pass through, because there wasn't enough clearance with the larger pushrods that I needed (with the cup end, etc.). After driving for about 600 miles, I think that one of them is still rubbing. It sounds like there is a clicking lifter on this one cylinder (No. 3, I believe), and when I pull the valve cover, I can see a wear/rub marks along one portion of the pushrod. Is there a way that you can put a washer/spacer on the far side of the rocker arm to move just that one whole rocker arm and it's pushrod over just 1/16"? I don't think I can get in there with my grinder. I myself have never removed the rocker shafts before, but I am pretty able. Any advice?
Old 07-04-2001, 11:00 AM
Inactive User

Surely somebody has a comment on this ...
Old 07-04-2001, 02:29 PM
Inactive User

Just use a drill to relieve the problem,if it's to small to get the grinder in there. I have not run in to this problem myself,but i see you need a suggestion. I am sure you can prep the area,to keep it clean,without a shitload of work,and be right back on the road.
Old 07-05-2001, 05:24 PM
Inactive User

Oh Oh......I would presume that the spacers are all assembled in the correct order......
Sounds to me like the rocker assemblies may have the spacers mixed up, but I'm a small block guy and I know for sure if you mix up the spacers on them the same thing happens.
BDD
Old 07-05-2001, 05:54 PM
Inactive User

I would first say that if you needed someone to put it together you probably need to take it back. There should have been a slight offset in the rockers. I don't think he could have even got it back together if that wasn't right. Mopar makes a shim kit to help center the rokers. They are.015 thick and you can also use hardened valve spring shims. With roller rockers you can get away with slight ofset. THis means that as long as the roller is cantacting the full head of the valve it dosen't matter that it is offset to one side. Maybe by shimming it you will have push rod clearence. Grinding metal inside an engine is a very iffy thing as there is no way that I know of to catch all the fillings.
Old 07-05-2001, 10:26 PM
Inactive User

Hey guys, thanks for the replies! Just a note in my defense; I would like to perform all of the work on my cars, house, etc. myself, but I find that it is much more cost-effective to just go to work and pay some professional to do the work (plus the wife chews me out less). Anyway, I sure appreciate your comments.