Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-03-2000, 02:23 AM
Inactive User

Question

I have a '78 Ram with a '69 440 HP engine in it. The engine was rebuilt sometime before I bought the truck, an since has developed a slight knock, sometimes there, sometimes not, sometimes louder than others. I have been told it could be a spun bearing among other things. I was told when I bought it that it had a different cam in it, and it does lope a little at idle. My question is: If I were going to tear into it and rebuild it, semi-budget conscious, what are some tips for best performance. I would like a truck that has a bunch of torque, but is farily quick and can surprise others. It is a 4x4 with 727 automatic, 3.55 suregrip. I am running 33x12.5x15 Wild Country Radials on it. It currently has an Edlebrock Torkker 440 single plane intake with a Holley 750 double pumper on top. I am unsure of what heads are on it. It currently has all stock ignition components, but would like to know if I should upgrade that, and if so, to what. I think it would be fun to take to the strip when it is all done, and was wondering if High 13's / Low 14's would be out of the question.

------------------
Mopar Vehicle #1
2001 Quad Cab 2500HD 4x4
Sport - Short Bed - Forest green Pearl
24V Cummins, auto, SLT Plus Package, with absolutely every other option available. (When paying this much for a truck, might as well get it with everything!)
Additions:
305/70R16 Cooper Discoverer AT tires
Grizzly Double Bend Chrome Side Bars
Window Vents that snap into window channel

Mopar Vehicle #2
1978 Dodge Ram W150 4x4
Originally a Reg. cab long bed with a 400.
Now is a Club Cab convertible with a StepSide bed (nice new wooden floor), 440 lurking under the hood. Project not entirely complete, but is driveable and is a real head turner