Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-03-2000, 01:40 AM
Inactive User

Its a mystery.
A friend of mine owns a '68 Coronet R/T.
The VIN tag is missing from the dash and the fender tag is missing from the inner fender.
The driver side door isn't original.
So, we are down to maybe the broadcast sheet (if its still under the back seat) and the serial number on the body.
Where are the stamped serial numbers suppose to be located on this car?
If I can get the serial number is there any way to find out what the VIN should be?
The car has a 400 in it now but we have no idea what it had originally. A 383,440, or Hemi maybe??
The inner fenders were cut out for through fender headers. That is very strange.
Why would someone go with through fender headers when regular headers are available?
Very interesting; it was common for people to put through fender headers on hemi cars because regulars were a very tight fit if you wanted big tubes.
I have looked hard at the car and if its a clone someone went to great lengths to pull off. It has everything a R/T car should.
The car is very rough and needs a total restoration. Determining what its originality is essential when approaching a complete restoration.
Old 10-03-2000, 05:20 AM
Inactive User

Red face

Wow! Sounds like your describing my Roadrunner/Belvedere! Without the Vin, fender or broadcast sheet, I'd say it would be hard to tell from the body numbers. There should be the last 5 digits or so on the radiator yoke, near the top. There are also some numbers along the left side of the trunk seal, under the rubber gasket. These numbers should match the Vin, fender.....etc. I'd also look for other pieces that make it an R/T versus a coronet, but then again, the parts could have been replaced also.
I think R/T's only came with 440's or hemi's, but I might be wrong.

I'm trying to prove the same thing my self with the RR I have!

Good Luck.

P.S. When somebody goes and messses with the vin, he's usually up to no good!

[This message has been edited by Shadowfax (edited October 03, 2000).]
Old 10-03-2000, 08:27 AM
Inactive User

Yes the radiator core support will have the vin,look where you usually find the "antifreeze sticker",sometimes its under it,youll have to lightly sand or strip the paint,but easier than that is find an old registation or liscense plate,if you have either one of those go to your DMV & do a search(usually $2) and presto....youll even get a name for last registered owner.As far as fenderwell headers in the 1968-75 time period these where the most popular for RB wedge engined B bodies,they were VERY common.Hope this helps ...PRO...
Old 10-03-2000, 09:56 AM
Inactive User

The VIN should be on the regestration/title.
No title and you could maybe do a title search if you know which state it was licensed in.
On the other hand, a R/T missing the VIN tag, Fender tag, original drivetrain, and other documentation is pretty much just worth what a regular coronet in the same condition would be, maybe even less if you can't title it of if it was stolen.
Old 10-03-2000, 08:20 PM
Inactive User

So the complete VIN is on the raidator support? Cool. I will take a look at my '69 and see where it is.
I will call my buddy and have him look at his to see what he finds.
Like I said; If it is a R/T clone someone went to GREAT lengths to make a clone. I is probably original. I remember when he bought it from a old farmer type guy who got it from someone else.
Old 10-04-2000, 06:55 AM
Inactive User

I dont think it has the whole vin number on it, just the last 6 digits. These are the seq. build numbers. For example,it wont have RM23H9G279318 (I wish it did, then you would know) it'll just have 279318.

[This message has been edited by Shadowfax (edited October 04, 2000).]