Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Durango Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-07-2001, 06:10 PM
Inactive User

Question Thinking about getting a Durango R/T

The one Im looking at is a 2001 black 4x4. What do you Durango owners think of yours? Do you like it? Is it a practical vehicle for a family(someday)? Id be trading in my 13.2 LS1 T/A so I have to get the R/T just so it'll still feel somewhat sporty, though not nearly as fast. Speaking of fast though, what would this truck do in the quarter? Any other thoughts appreciated, Im getting my car appraised Monday, so that'll will be the deciding factor, if they give me at least my payoff and a good price.
Old 07-07-2001, 08:05 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

I love mine! I have a 2001 Flame Red one. I traded my 98 Trans -Am 6 speed in for it. Granted it is not a speed demon. But in comfort alone, plus I can use it in the winter, put a kid seat in, hual frined around plus pull my 4 wheeler. LOL
Old 07-08-2001, 12:00 AM
Inactive User

Damn, the F-bods are takin' a hit! Are you still doin' decals for them? Are you severing all connections with the F-body world? Is your Durango an R/T? Besides still being kinda cool, I like the idea because I can tow a trailer if I need to. Since Ive moved to SC the trip to the "local" dragstrip is 2 hours away, instead of the 15 minute trip to MAR in MO. so I can actually tow the Dakota there and not fear breaking it....and if I do, I can run the Durango lol.
Old 07-08-2001, 12:03 AM
Inactive User

Yeah I got a 2001 Durango Flame Red R/T with the tow package on it. It was worth the 400.00 mark up sinc eI got the bigger heated mirrors, oil cooler, hitch, wiring, bigger alternator and battery.

I still do the stuff on LS1. I just had to get rid of the T/A and get a car I can put a baby seat in. LOL
Old 07-08-2001, 12:23 AM
Inactive User

Yeah that's what my wifes hinting at too. I dont think the one Im looking at has the trailer package though. Let see, I need the hitch and wiring, I like the oil cooler and alt. I dont really care about the mirrors(I wont tow all that often) and my Daks batttery only lasted a year after I got the truck. Still probably worth the money though. Its probably a dealer install. option anyway is'nt it?
Old 07-08-2001, 12:28 AM
Inactive User

I'm pretty sure it was a factory option for the tow group. The mirror are biggger but they are the same sport style. Don't really notice them. Plus they are heated. I looked in the book and the hitch set up alone was like 300.00 So it was worth 400 extra to me.
Old 07-08-2001, 12:45 AM
Inactive User

Unhappy

Hmmm...oh well...looks like it'll have to be a "Mike" installed option on mine!
Old 07-08-2001, 10:07 AM

The tow package is a factory install thing.
It also raises your towing capacity. Like it was already mentioned it's much more than just a hitch. You'll need the extra cooling capacity (radiatior/tranny) and amperage for all the trailer lights/electric brake ect. Granted the tranny cooler is small and some people have opted for aftermarket. (I will eventually). Also you will want the 6X9 mirrors heated or not. (Very useful while towing) and it's prewired for a 7pin trailer connector and electric brake controller.
If you get the R/T you will already have the 3.92 axle ratio which I consider a must for towing.

I have seen times from 15.6-15.9 for the 2000 R/T's stock. Your 2001 won't have the "hotter" computer because of some "pinging" problems DC couldn't fix. With out the computer I don't know how much worse it will be.

My 98 SLT ran 16.89 best stock with 4000 miles. The newer D's seem to be faster than the first years (98-99) even with out the R/T package. (go figure) I guess that what I get for getting a first year one

If I were you I would order one if you can and get exactly what you want/need.

Good luck
Todd