Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-27-2000, 05:03 AM
Inactive User

Question

I just bought a power wagon to try out the dodges from a chevy. well its a 4x4 it has a 360 bored .30 over dont know what size cam edelbrock torker intake holley 650 non adjustable rockers recently rebuilt.well it has a tap in it I put new comp cams lifters. I ALSO put new pushrods and rockers non adjust. well it fixed it for about two weeks and the tap is back its on cyl. 5 and 7 exhaust it has oil pressure valve cover off it squirts oil all over headers and if you drive it hard getting r,s up to 4500-5000 you can get it to quit until you shut it off for 2 seconds restart it the tap is back i dont know what else to do i dont know enough about dodges like i do chevy's im trying to get into something different. also when i took the old lifters out to replace with new ones they didnt even have a where pattern on them yet and all valve springs and valves were replaced to my under standing THANKS IN ADVANCE
Old 09-27-2000, 03:58 PM
Inactive User

if it's the same two cylinders, maybe it's not the lifters that are making noise. It could be a poor header fit on those two cyls, normal operation, but leaking noise. It could be those two cyls are running hotter, and pinging a bit. check the plugs, compare to the other cyls. Also, try not writing run on sentences..........
Old 09-27-2000, 05:05 PM

When you get down to it GM and Chrysler have done things that are very close to the same. I've got a couple questions for you. Does the "tick" ever go away? I would also suggest to try and tighten the header bolts (With the engine cold). What did the inside of the engine look like? Did it look clean or like someone hadn't changed the oil regularly. The reason I bring this up is that dirt and grime could be getting into the lifters and ripping or ruining the rubber seals inside of them. Another thing you may want to do is check the valve clearence (the distance between the valve tip and the rocker arm) I don't know the specs. but I would guess no more than 0.006 inch. I hope this gives you some ideas. Hope it helps
Old 09-27-2000, 05:33 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

The lifter may not be pumped up.( Not enuff oil in the lifter.)
Old 09-28-2000, 09:22 AM

Hello xcellrtr:
This lifter problem I have seen in 2 other small blocks one a 340 the other 360 both used Comp Cams lifters. Both were small hydraulic cams. They were Comp Cams stock 340 replacement cam(in the 340) the 360 used the 270H cam. The lifters ticked from start up and even ticked after being warmed up both engines. We checked to see if rockers we loose(non adjustable on 340) and was depressing plunger approx .030". The 360 used 273 adjustable valve train and it also ticked after twice readjusting to zero lash. Finally we swapped out the lifters on the 360 for Mopar lifters and noise went away. Next went we get the chance well swap out the 340 and see if the noise goes away. We have used Comp Cams equipment before and never had this problem. Maybe they have changed vendors on their lifters or we got 2 bad set of lifters not sure they look ok. Dissassembled one to see nothing looked out of place. No scaring or anything obvious, though of sending them back to see if they were miss boxed.
Old 10-06-2000, 04:17 AM
Inactive User

Exclamation

I had the same pesky problem on my RB, also with the Comp Cams product, except of the 280H variety. I scratched my head for quite a while changing all sorts of parts with no avail. Finally went to a non-comp lifter and bingo...no more valvetrain noise. I always use MPP stuff with good results and this was the first time I strayed to an aftermarket part. I went back to MPP!
Old 10-07-2000, 01:44 AM

I havent ever used comp's lifters so I dont know if there are problems with them. The leak theory is definantly the first place to look though. I didnt hear any refrence to low oil pressure which can cause either 1 or all of them to sing so I'm assuming that all is well there as well as the grade of oil. I'm also assuming that the push rods have been measured for the same lengths. The only other thing i can think of right now besides what is mentioned already is lifter preloads that are different due to variations in the stamped rockers. I know that yours are new but I still would check each one out. the stamped stock set still does have alot of variables. If you are real lazy like me I just swapped rockers that were making the noise to the other sides of the engine then started it up. low and behold, I had 2 bad rockers that when I measured it, gave my 2 noisy lifters less preload by .015 compared to the others. I know its a long shot that should be tried later but I just wanted to throw this out in case you need it. At least its not time consuming to try it either.

------------------