Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Car Audio Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-11-2001, 09:54 PM
Inactive User

Default radio wiring problem

I installed a radio from a 2000 Neon in my '64 Valiant convertible, and it works fine except for one thing. When the instrument lights are off, the clock/station display in the radio is on dim. It should be on bright with lights off in a daylight situation. When I turn the lights on, the clock comes on bright. At that time, it should switch to dim. When I turn the light switch knob to dim the instruments, the radio dims like the rest of the dash lights.

I have the "lamps dimmer switch signal" wire (orange) hooked to the "Inst" terminal on the headlamp switch. I can't figure where else I could attach the wire and still retain the dimming function??? Ideas?
Old 07-12-2001, 12:32 AM

sounds like you have a dimmer wire hooked up wrong,

did you just plug it straight in or did you Hardwire it right in.

I don't have the pin layout hee in front of me but I can tell you this.

On the "power plug" I believe its gray, you should have only 4 wires going into it. Constant power, Switched power, Front/left/positive speaker wire, Front/right/positive speaker wire.

You also have a dimmer and ullumnation(spelling?) wires in the gray plug but I would not use these. These are the wires that are giving you problems

Ont the black plug you have the remander of the speaker wires and the negative sides of the front speakers.
Old 07-12-2001, 10:38 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the response. Yes, something is apparently not right on the dimmer wire. Actually, it dims okay, it's just the reverse operation of the clock display that's not right. I can live with it the way it is, but there must be a way to make it work properly.

The power wires are all fused in the same configuration as the Neon. Only the dimmer wire is different in that it's hooked to the instrument power side of the headlight switch.
Old 07-13-2001, 01:13 AM

ok the dimmer system is different in the neon then in Valiant. The dimmer triggers are different types. The only way to make it work is to use some relays.
Old 07-13-2001, 09:04 AM
Inactive User

That sounds reasonable if I could find someone who knew the internal workings of the switches and display and could describe how to hook it up.
Old 07-17-2001, 03:13 AM
Inactive User

If you are using the factory stereo out of a 2000 Neon I believe that although it is the newer style stereo (4 mounting tabs and somewhat oval face instead of the old 2 tabs and rectangle face) it should still have the same grey and black 7-pin connectors that Chrysler has used since '84. If it is, the connections are as follows for pins 1 to 6 starting on the power side of the grey plug: battery, accessory, pin 3--illumination, pin 4--PARK LAMP LEAD, rf- and lf-. Pin 3 must be hooked to the same lead as the dash lights (dimmer) and pin 4--park lamp lead MUST be hooked to the park lamp feed which is 12 volts whenever the park or headlights are on to make the clock dim. (This lead is the one that switches control of the clock over to the dimmer lead). I will say that I don't have any experience with the new style stereo and it is possible that the connections could be different on them but this is how all worked from '84-'97 and even some through '01. Hope this helps!
Old 07-17-2001, 08:44 AM
Inactive User

Yes, that is indeed the way to hook it up.

I had posted this same problem on another forum and was given the answer a couple of days ago. The radio now works exactly as advertised! Thanks for responding...I thought the thread was dead, or I would have posted that I had found the answer.