Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-16-2001, 02:00 PM
Inactive User

Default Shortblock Combo

I was wondering if anyone has tuned their mopar performance short block or a small block with the M.P. 292/.509 cam. I have a 750 carter and am running 98/101 jets and am just curiour if this sounds right to anyone who has their car tuned. If you do have it tuned what does your combo (heads intake etc.) cosist of and what kind of performance are you getting out of it?
Old 07-16-2001, 04:48 PM
Inactive User

I don't have your engine setup, but for an Edelbrock carb that sounds sort of lean for a 360 with a big cam. What rods and step-up springs (color) are you using?
Also what heads, intake and exhaust system?
Old 07-16-2001, 05:03 PM
Inactive User

I have the Mopar Performance short block out of the catalog. I would guess that the rods are stockers. I have swirl port heads and an M-1 dual plane intake. If I go with bigger jets then my exhaust fumes burn the eyes. I have a 1/32" hole in each of the primary butterflies and it actually runs great.
Old 07-16-2001, 05:33 PM
Inactive User

I mean the metering rods in the edelbrock carb? Measure the metering rods thickness at the two steps will help as I'm not sure the part number on the rods is the same as the part number they sell them under.
How much vacuum do you have at idle in gear?
I think you may need to go to a lighter step-up spring if you have low vacuum. The low vacuum will cause the metering rods to alaways be "up" in the enrichment mode with low vacuum and heavy / stiff step-up springs.
If you go to a lighter (try lightest) spring and the engine surges at part throttle/cruse on the highway, then your primary metering jetting is too lean. If it dosen't surge, you might want to go leaner with the primary jetting untill it happens, then back up a step or two, this will get you the jetting you need for gas economy when driving at steady speeds.
When you test this, don't worry too much about transition surges under acceleration (part throttle/ no secondays), just at a steady highway cruse speed. Once you get the jetting dialed in, install heavier step-up springs untill there is no surging on acceleration (part throttle, with secondarys not opening.)
Once you get the primary side tuned, jet the secondary side for best acceleration or MPH in the 1/4 mile.
You should now be really close in jetting, now you may want to try some different metering rods with different step sizes to optimize gas mialage and performance. Be careful selecting metering rods as they can vary quite a bit, sometimes the equivlent of 3-4 jet sizes!