Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-16-2001, 04:29 PM
Inactive User

Question Where do I stick it?

Just dropped brand new 360 crate motor into '67 Charger. I want to prime the engine with oil before the first firing. I purchased Mopar Performance oil priming shaft but cannot figure out where the hexagonal section shaft goes in the hole for the distributor. The only thing I see is the distributor gear and the straight slot that receives the end of the distributor shaft.
Old 07-16-2001, 04:36 PM

Yeah, that's it. Just stick it in the hole and burn up your drill. Make sure you rotate the crank between priming sessions. You'll get oil to the rockers on one side then stop, rotate the crank, and prime until the other rocker stand gets oil. Good luck.
Old 07-16-2001, 04:40 PM
Inactive User

You have to lift out the distrubitor drive/oil pump gear (the gear/shaft with the slot on top for the distrubitor.)
Sometimes they come out easy by placing a big screwdriver in the slot and turning it out (I think counter clockwise), but sometimes you may need to get a hook under the gear to help pull it up while rotating the gear. One of the 90-degree screwdrivers wirks good.

To prime the oil system put the shaft in and (I'm pretty sure) rotate the drill clockwise on small blocks (counterclockwise on big blocks.) While priming the oil pump have someone slowely rotate the crank a few turns so oil gets past the cam bearings and upto the rocker shafts. Oops, you said "crate" motor. If it's a Magnum crate engine the rockers are not shaft mounted so ignore that last part, but you may want to make sure there is oil on the rockers.
Old 07-16-2001, 07:31 PM

With it being a crate motor, I hope that you opened her up and double checked all bearings and torque specs, before dropping her in.

I have heard and seen to many horror stories about the poor quality control, in the assembly of the crate engines. most problems had to do with bearing caps and connecting rods that were torqued out of specs.
Old 07-18-2001, 07:24 AM
Inactive User

Thanks to all for the information.