Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-18-2001, 01:57 PM
Inactive User

Question Rear spoiler for a Duster

Has anyone here ever used the MP decklid spoiler #P4876347 that fits the Dusters, Demons, & Dart Sports? This is the spoiler that is installed along the entire bottom of the decklid, not the pedestal wing type. The part is ABS plastic and mounts with screws. The one's I've seen in person are always cracked at the screw attachments.

Is there somebody out there that makes a fiberglass spoiler? I faxed a letter a while back to AAR Quality Fiberglass asking if I sent a new MP piece to them, would they consider making a molded-in version on a bolt-on decklid. I haven't heard from them.
Old 07-21-2001, 05:45 PM
Inactive User

MAS advertises a bolt on rear spoiler, other than that-good luck even JC Whitney only has those horrible looking RiceBoy wings. Fiberglass isn't too hard to work with, why not make one- even if it takes a couple of trys you'll still save some cash and it will be your own.
Old 07-23-2001, 02:59 PM
Inactive User

Default Yep!

I had one of these on my '71 demon many, many years ago. Bought it from Direct Connection. It fit good, installed easy & lasted forevever.

A couple of cautions however - You need a deck lid from a '72 & up car with the "spine" running up the center 'cuz the spoiler is molded for it & it will leave a goofy looking triangular hole if you don't. You should consider using a different trunk lid than the one you have anyways, because you have to make a LOT of holes in it to install the spoiler. (I used rivets on mine)

WAYYYY back then, when I was 18, I thought this thing looked pretty cool - now that I am pushing 40, I am not so sure...I kinda like my Dart Sport's lines the way it was built - but that's just me.

Direct Connection also used to offer a matching chin spoiler - I never used that one.
Old 07-23-2001, 03:16 PM
Inactive User

Canuck Dart,

I remember the Direct Connection days also. I'm 42. I have always wanted to pick up the rear spoiler for some reason, but never did. I could have as there have been many chances. I'm not so sure of the looks either, maybe that's why I have never grabbed one. I too, remember the front spoiler.

I'm planning on a fiberglass decklid from AAR Quality Fiberglass. I have a front bumper from them and it's great! I will pick up the rear bumper at the Nat's in August.

My Duster is a '73, so the fit wouldn't be a problem from what you've told me. I was wondering about the spine issue and you have cleared that up. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-23-2001, 05:15 PM
Inactive User

Default duhhhh

I guess if I had looked at your website before posting, I would have known that a few holes in the decklid will not be a problem - I can be a dolt sometimes...Nice car by the way - I wish I had your patience....mine is is need of the "ground up" treatment, but I just have too much fun driving it in the summer to start tearing 'er down.
Old 07-23-2001, 05:50 PM
Inactive User

Is this the one you are talking about? I do not see it for sale anymore in MP's catalog. I think it looks damn cool though.
Old 08-17-2001, 10:05 AM
Inactive User

Smile

Hammer 74,
That's the one! I saw that it was discontinued in the 2001 MP catalog. Anybody know of where I can pick one up?

Sorry for the long response time. I have a teenage daughter at home, so it's tough to get phone line time in!

Canuck Dart,
Thanks for the compliment on my Duster.