Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-18-2001, 04:36 PM
Inactive User

Default e body tti exhaust problem HELP!!

I just got my new headers and exhaust from tti. The headers are great and fit just fine. But now to my problem. The exhaust in the front points toward the outside of the car(flares out). and the headers point in toward the center. The reducer they sent me is straight. It is not even close to lining up. Its about 3" off from lining up(collector to the exhaust) The guy at tti said to cut the cross over, to make it line up, but i'm afraid it will make the rest of it not fit properly. Has anyone with a e-body bought this system? If so, any problems? Please help.
Old 07-18-2001, 06:57 PM
Inactive User

Headers are a custom add on and will almost never lineup with the existing exhaust system. Cutting the existing pipes to weld in a connection to your new headers should not cause a problem as long you do not move the existing pipe(s) a great deal side to side. This could move a portion or the pipe closer to some part of the floorpan or driveshaft. Cut your existing pipes back far enough so that your new piece angles toward the header collectors without radical bends.

A question. How is the ground clearance with the TTI headers? I have had a problem in the past of one of the primary pipes passing underneath the steering linkage on the drivers side. This places this pipe very close to the ground and subject to damage. Do any of the TTI pipes go under any linkage and what is your lowest clearance? I am considering the TTI's for my 73 Challenger.
Old 07-18-2001, 07:32 PM
Inactive User

i have the tti step headers on my 72 challenger on a 340 4 speed
they fit well i didnt have to make and mods. to them
there is no pipe under the steering link but there is one pipe on the drivers side that is seperate and goes around the torsion bar
but nothin rubbs. back to the question about the collector/reducer
yes the drivers side seems to point away from the center of the car a little so i cut and sectioned the collector/reducer to point tward the original exhaust pipe and welded it up works fine
i did lose a little ground clearence from the stock manifolds and pipe but i have seen worse header set ups on ebody cars.
i have some pics if anyone is interested email me
Old 07-19-2001, 06:41 AM
Inactive User

splatt

I do like the headers from tti, the ground clearance is very good. I had hookers on there before and had very little clearance to the ground. But the tti exhaust is was my main concern. Do you have the tti full exhaust? This was my problem, it just won't mate with the collectors.
Old 07-19-2001, 06:46 AM
Inactive User

the challenger

you state that the drivers side goes away from the center. Do you mean your header points toward the outside of the car? Mine is just the opposite! I need mine to do what yours is doing. Could be a defect or something.