Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-11-2000, 05:25 PM
Inactive User

Question

trying to make sure I do this right this time not like last time.....
I know that you set the slot on the dist. gear drive to be parrallel w/ crank, damper slot on (0) if its still good, I'm still using the original, #1 piston at TDC on the compression stroke. I know the piston comes up twice during the cycle. The "How to Rebuild Big-Block Mopar Engines" book says that at TDC on the compression stroke both valves will be closed, the rockers unloaded and you can jiggle the push rods/rockers slightly. My problem is that when I look at the rockers for the valve movement it seems that the only time there is enough room to jiggle the rods is AFTER the intake valve has closed then there is a long rotation space before the exhaust starts to open. I thought the TDC of the compression stroke was before the intake valve closes... Is this why the other chain was put on wrong in Timing Shenanigins... or is my brain on backwards this time to?? At this rate I'll have it back running by Thanksgiving
Old 10-11-2000, 06:38 PM
Inactive User

Both valves will be closed for a while as you rotate towards TDC of the compression stroke provided you are rotating in the proper direction (clockwise as viewed from the front).
The Intake Valve will open while the exhaust valve lacks a wee bit being closed. This is the "Overlap Period" between the exhaust and intake cycles. The intake valve will remain open until after the compression stroke starts.
The Intake Valve will close within a few degrees of the start of the compression stroke. I can't give numbers as this depends on the cam profile and such.
No valves will be open until the "Combustion or Power cycle" is about 70% complete.
The exhaust valve will open before the bottom of the power stroke and remain open during the entire exhaust stroke and not close until after the intake stroke starts again. ( begining the cycles again)
Billy
Old 10-12-2000, 12:34 AM
Inactive User

put your brain in 4 stroke mode: rotate the engine clockwise(viewed from the front and watch the valves opening and closing. When both valves are closed, you are in compression(power) stroke. The exhaust valve opens just after tdc for this part of the cycle.The distributor should fire just BEFORE tdc.
if you get to tdc and the exhaust valve is open approaching , then both valves, then just the intake, you're 360 degrees of crank(1/2 cycle) away from the power stroke where the spark needs to be.
Old 10-12-2000, 12:35 AM
Inactive User

I always wnted one of those "visible V*" models..does anyone know what motor that was???
Old 10-12-2000, 12:52 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

I saw one in a store that was a sb chevy. No fun there!
Old 10-15-2000, 11:18 PM
Inactive User

i can't figure out how to quote so I need some clarification from (mtrv8n). So the distributor needs to fire at TDC after the intake closes and before the exhaust opens??

Well.... just as I typed that sentence it made perfect sense that thats what is supposed to happen.... or maybe my brain is confused again.....????
Old 10-16-2000, 06:55 AM
Inactive User

mauve,just be sure that at slightly before tdc your rotor is pointing at #1 plug wire,now if your 180* out(thats all you can be)it will backfire out the exhaust pipe,if this happens pull the cap off, note the rotor position,now pull the dist and rotate the rotor 180*(1/2 a turn) and reinstall,it will light right up...PRO....