Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-14-2000, 12:44 PM

Ok guys, just got the car running again, heres what I did. New parts, edel performer rpm manifold, edel 750 cfm carb, mp elect. dist, orange box, accell coil and 8.8 wires. New 3" exhaust from TTI, (absolute JUNK), had to cut,bend and weld almost every piece! Have a 3"x14" K&N that will not clear the hood. What air cleaner can I use that is high volume, I know I need a 2" drop but one I tried hit on the fuel line inlet and the electric choke. Also, the car has an unknown cam, definatly larger grind. Where should I start w/the timing. I have it set -5deg btd now, and how much vacuum advance should it have? Please help, thanks <><
Old 10-15-2000, 01:55 AM
Inactive User

What year/size engine/car is this? I just recently got my 383 running again and I have an Edelbrock intake as well. I have a new Holley 4 barrel on it with the Mopar Perf. air cleaner and everything clears the hood just fine. My setup is in a 67 Charger. I don't know about how much vacuum there is, but I have the timing set at 5 degrees before tdc and it seems to run fine, although I have yet to take it out and really run it at length. I have seen other posts saying to take it up to 10 degrees.
Old 10-15-2000, 06:14 AM

I still need to get a light to determine what my initial timing is set at. They way that I set my timing was to get it dialed into where it would start and run OK. Then I took the car to a vacant parking lot. I disconnected the Vaccum advance and plug it at the carb. I then ran the car at near full throttle across the parking lot. Found that I had some high end ping. Backed the timing down. I repeated this several times, until the ping was gone. I then connected the Vacuum advance and did the same thing with part throttle runs. I adjusted the vacuum advance until the ping was gone.

If during the first run there is no ping, you can advance until ping just begins and back it off.

Setting up this way allows you to setup the best for your engine combination (cam, carb/jetting, intake, compression).

At this point, I have no ping (on 93 octane) and the engine is pulling strong.

------------------
Ed - MoPower

'96 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT CC 360 4X4
'68 Charger 383-4
'69 Coronet 500 Convertible 440-4
Old 10-16-2000, 02:45 AM

I have never bothered with initial advance. You want to have a full 36 - 38 degrees of advance in by 2,000RPM.

I have both lightweight advance springs in my 'Bee, and it has 38 degreese of advance at idle, and runs fine on Sunoco 94.

Use the springs to dial in your advance, and pitch the vacuum advance. It's only for gas milage anyway.

------------------
Tom
68 Super Bee
69 Barracuda Convertible
Old 10-16-2000, 03:08 AM
Inactive User

Pro, the vacuum helps idle, and also helps burn off carbon when cruising. If all you do is race, this is unneccesary, but if you drive around town, the vacuum is a nice addition. I agree on the stteing procedures, though. You can't really set inital timing, and it was done that way for emission reasons, not true tuning.
Old 10-16-2000, 03:55 AM
Inactive User

I agree with ehostler. i can run up to 42 degree total on 93. and than plug in vacuum advance for the fuel mileage.not sure what total +vacuum adv. is. every motor combo is different ,i think you need to give it all the advance it will take with out detination to make it perform.i had 2 lite wieght springs in but i got misfiring around 1200 rpm. so went with 1 heavy+ 1 lite (all in at 2000 rpm) and runs good.
Old 10-16-2000, 06:28 AM
Inactive User

I run 14* initial @ 900 rpms,for a total of 44* at 2800rpms,this car picked up .4 going from 40* to 44* total,no ping.Vaccum advance should be 10-14* crankshaft degrees if initial is 14* otherwise it will ping at part throttle........PRO......
Old 10-16-2000, 11:04 AM

I'm a little confused. Your saying I can start w/as much as 14deg. btdc at the crank? Then depending on which springs I have that will determine how far it will advance right? Can I check this while car sits still by just bringing up the r's?. If so, it shouldn't be to hard. Someone please reply to the aircleaner issue. I'm going to order the K&N 14" drop base today and hope that it fits! Also if there are any tire experts out there, I need to know the largest tire size I can run after I remove the airshocks, traction bars and stab.link. Car has 12" superchargers on it now, nice for show but hits on the fender on bumps. I'd like to run 10"x26"od on the rear, bfg drag radial. I think it will need a 4.5" offset to do it. The car is a 71 Challenger R/T. I need the rear shock mounts, anyone know where to get'em? What are good shocks to use all the way around? Let me know guys, your the best!!! Thanks <><

[This message has been edited by kingjr (edited October 16, 2000).]
Old 10-16-2000, 01:46 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

There is a specific air cleaner for that carb. It will slip over it without interfearance <sp>