Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-21-2001, 12:12 PM

Default Pulling the engine question

I am pulling the engine out of the Plymouth and want to pull it without the transmission. Can I pull it with the converter still attached or will I run the possibility of damaging something. Is it safer to unbolt it from flexplate?
Old 07-21-2001, 12:35 PM
Inactive User

Just unbolt the converter from the flexplate, yank the engine and leave the trans and converter in the car. Mark the converter and the flexplate before you take it apart, it will make lining things up alot easier when you put it back together.
Old 07-21-2001, 12:36 PM

It is possible to pull both as a unit,I see it all the time at the pick and pulls, but it will be all hell trying to get it back in as a unit. You may risk some damage to the front pump seal or input shaft when the geometry starts flexing, but if you are rebuilding the trans, give it a shot. Be prepared to pull the motor srtaight forward about 4 inches to get the convertor off the input shaft, sometimes hard to do with limited engine bay space.
Old 07-21-2001, 04:30 PM

I've always pulled the engine and tranny as a unit. It is much easier than separating them, while in the car.

It's always been very easy to slip the combo in and out. it's even easier, if you have an engine angle tool, between the hoist chain and the engine.
Old 07-21-2001, 04:35 PM

Wouldnt it be nice to drop it out the bottom like Ma Mopar put them in!
Old 07-21-2001, 10:44 PM
Inactive User

If your not pulling the tranny with it , unbolt the 4 converter bolts(mark it like amoparguy said)! I just pulled my 340 yesterday, I tied the headers to the side, left the starter bolted on, put a chain across the torshion bars to hold the tranny up, unbolted the converter and the motor lifted right out.
My intake bolt holes are so hogged out to get it to bolt on that I'm taking the engine to a shop to have a new intake shaved to fit the new edelbrock heads.