Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-21-2001, 01:57 PM

Default Things dont fit as good as TTI claims

Dont get me wrong guys, I know that all headers are a pain in the ass but Murpy here had alot of mods that had to happen which I have never read about in other posts or in the instructions for the TTI headers. They are also labeled to slip in without having to dent anything. I bought the SB headers for my 69 barracuda with a 340. Here are the problems I had and what I had to do the solve them. I was expecting things to get a little muddy no matter who says what but this got nuts for me.

Problem......engine sat too low. had the usual stock insulator motor mounts. Headers hit the manual stearing gear box by LOTS. Had to raise up the motor by .75 and make custom motor mounts. I now have .1 of clearence there.

Problem.....After engine is bolted back into place and headers are bolted on....you should just be able to slip in the stock starter.
NOT HAPPENIN HERE. the clearence was much too small to get the starter in. The main problem was the stearing linkage being not far enough away from the header. I had at least .5 less that what was needed. I tried to even unbolt the header and I was able to put it in but the heads was touching it. I ended up buying a Mopar P. mini starter. This solved everything.

Problem. Idler arm...interfers with pass side header. aprox 1/4". not bad and a dentable fix but thats not what is supposed to happen.

Like I said guys, I wasnt looking for a gift but I have never seen anyone with any of these problems that I had. I know these are great headers but I'm just letting you know what I went thru.....................dj
Old 07-21-2001, 03:11 PM

The 3" exhaust for my challenger fit about as good as your headers! lol <><
Old 07-21-2001, 03:39 PM
Inactive User

kingjr- I am set to put 3'' exhaust on my 70 cuda. It currently has a 21/2" system that was custom built and uses hooker super comp headers and factory tips. What kind of problems did you have. What system are you using. Your input appreciated. Thanks, djs
Old 07-21-2001, 10:52 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs down

That sucks, I thought TTI was suppose to be the best. I use the Hooker #5204 headers on my small block 71 A-body with manual brakes and manual steering with zero problems. I have solid motor mounts.
Old 07-22-2001, 12:30 AM

I also use the 5204 Hooker Super Comp on my 73 Dart Sport 340, and they fit great. And Hooker told me they would only fit 70-72 A-body!!! Small frame differences from 72 to 73 they said, would cause all kinds of fitment problems. NOT TRUE! only one very small dent was needed to clear the manual steering box.
Old 07-22-2001, 04:41 AM
Inactive User

Default Exhaust

I cant atest to their headers except that I've seen them on A, B and E bodies and everyone that owns them that I know seems to like them.

I can speak for the exhaust. If the proper collectors are ordered to connect to your headers, and you take a few moments to test fit each piece, they fit excellent. Mine don't rub anywhere and although the fit is REAL tight, the only problem I had was having to cut about an inch off the passenger side main pipe because the muffler on that side had a dimpled inlet and the pipe would only go in so far. No biggy though, a tube cutter and 3 minutes took care of the issue. Otherwise it bolted up nicely.

One last thing to mention, when connecting the collector pipes, loosen the main (h-pipe unit) pipes and twist the collectors to match the headers, then tighten everything down. If you don't, you'll rub somewhere.

Regards,
TB
Old 07-22-2001, 06:37 AM
Inactive User

Dave
your not alone. although my tti headers for my challenger fit great, the 2 1/2" tti exhaust was a nightmare. It was about 2 inches off from bolting to the collector. Had to do alot of bending and tweaking to get it on. What tube size did you get?(primary)
Old 07-22-2001, 01:35 PM

dj, I used the 3" tti kit ordered thru Mancini racing. My friend and I worked for 3 hours to no avail. I had to flatbed the car to the local muffler shop where 3 mechanics spent 2 1/2 hours doing the install. They had to cut, bend and weld peices to get completed, not a bolt in kit if you ask me. I like the smooth mandrel bends but would recommend having a pro exhaust shop assist w/the install. My problem was they ask what kind of headers you have when ordering, when they are 20+ years old who knows? <><
Old 07-22-2001, 05:02 PM
Inactive User

Well I just put a set on a 1969 1/2 340 4-speed cuda and the only trouble I had was with the 4-speed linkage,mostly just the zbar,the side closest to the engine,it hung down to far and was touching the header,other than that it was no trouble anywhere else,not even with the manual steering.

Old 07-22-2001, 07:29 PM

When I was talking about the TTI's, I was refering to the headers only. I have the TTI full exhaust also. I have no idea how this "BOLT ON KIT" is really going to be but I can tell ya that I'm going to do a full trial fit first and If I see that I'm going to end up Like (the Rain man at the airport scene), I'll have a shop hang them. I used up all my patience on this one.
I also know that TTi's are real good but like I said before, I tought Murphy everything he knew and I just wanted to tell you what happened to me. Who knows, maybe I just screwed up the header install myself but I'm a real careful, calculating dude and for the life of me I dont know how I could have. I'll update this once I do a mock assembly of the rest of the exhaust system. Thanks for the input gents.
Dave
Old 07-22-2001, 07:33 PM
Inactive User

Here is a thought,did you do like the instructions say and measure to be sure the engine is sitting in the correct location? ok I didn't either but mine went right in
If the measurements are correct I would then contact Sam at TTI,all I have heard of him has been nothing but good,who knows maybe you got the wrong set?
Old 07-22-2001, 10:51 PM
Inactive User

Kingjr, thanks for the input. I'm going to have my system built by the exhaust pro at our shop. He built the 21/2's on it now so I'm sure he can do the 3" system. At least he'll have the existing system as a guide. For over-axle pipes I bought hooker 3" mandrel U-bends. I'll let you know how it works out when it's done. This won't be for at least 2-3 weeks. I'll post then...............djs
Old 07-23-2001, 10:03 AM
Inactive User

have you heard of spitfire headers, they slip in from the top. www.angelfire.com/ak4/spitfireheaders
Old 07-23-2001, 04:10 PM
Inactive User

Trouble is some guys paid for theirs as many as 9 months ago and last I had heard they had not gotten theirs yet.
Old 07-23-2001, 06:08 PM
toddd

Angry

I have them on our 67 Barracuda, and they fit . The starter i use is the mini starter, and it was a tight fit, but it fit in. The only other place that is close is on the passenger side where you have to turn the wheel hard to the left, when the steering linkage came back you can feel it rubbing through the steering wheel. There was an article in Mopar Muscle a few months ago, try to find it . It was helpful to me when i was installing them on our car. Once you have the moror "Square" to their measurements you should be off to the races. Good luck. Toddd.
Old 07-23-2001, 11:05 PM
Inactive User

Unhappy Oh Yeah

Well if you think the tti is bad then everyone should go through what I did. I Built a W-2 motor and purchased Hedman Hustler Headers They fit like S$#T and I called and told them. The passenger side not so bad but the driver side, Holy S$#T what a nightmare. These headers were 1 pipe over the outside of the frame on both sides Fun Fun Fun. Just some input. Mopar power to you.
Old 07-24-2001, 06:58 AM
Inactive User

Just gave up fighting with installing 2 1/2" TTI exhaust system in a '67 Charger. Header adapter on passenger side was so far off that it forced the rest of the pipe against the floorboard of the car.
Accompanying instructions warn that the rear hangers might not be in the right position. They were not. So much for custom fit.

Redline8
Old 07-25-2001, 12:14 AM
Inactive User

I installed the 3" exhaust system on my '71 Charger. The over the axle tubes fit good, like thay are supposed to, but I had some problems with the pipes from the headers to the mufflers.
I think alot of the problem is the header adaptors and my oddball engine/header combination. Anyhow, I got it installed and I'm really happy with it as it performs great

I am going to install the TTI header on my 1969 Coronet 360, and use a 2.5" dual exhaust. I will get the over the axle tubes from TTI, but I alreadt have mufflers and since I'm installing a 518 OD trans, I'll have an exhaust shop do the tubing from the headers to the mufflers.
Old 08-03-2003, 04:37 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian_wo
Well I just put a set on a 1969 1/2 340 4-speed cuda and the only trouble I had was with the 4-speed linkage,mostly just the zbar,the side closest to the engine,it hung down to far and was touching the header,other than that it was no trouble anywhere else,not even with the manual steering.

Had same problem. What did you end up doing to get the clearance?
Old 08-03-2003, 08:18 PM
Inactive User

I have the 2.5 TTI system on my Challenger, going from the Factory HP exhaust manifolds on a 383.

I intially had a bear of a time and things were not lining up and I was getting all mad at first....

but then I went and completely LOOSENED all the bolts and U-clamps even the ones that "should not have mattered" and I was able to get all the clearance I need and tightened things sequentially from the close-fitting areas and it was all fine.
Old 08-03-2003, 08:45 PM
Inactive User

Hey Drtswgr340,

I have the same headers for my Valiant and had ZERO clearance problems on them. I can take them off of the car without any problems and without touching the motor mounts. The motor is in the stock location and there are no dents in any of the tubes.
Old 08-03-2003, 09:02 PM
Inactive User

Just a note about the Spitfire headers...

If you are warmed much above stock they won't flow what you'll need. I ran a set on my '70 dart (360, Edel heads etc.) and that was like putting a cork in a bottle.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:37 PM
Inactive User

Smile

My experience with TTI headers has been mostly positive.

I had to clearance a tube slightly to clear the nut on the idler arm, my ball pein hammer took care of that pretty quickly.

I also bought the 2 1/2" pipes, mufflers, and rectangular tips. I had to cut the pipes to length because I bought Flowmasters which are a bit longer than the Dynomax's (at least that's what I was told), the sawzall did that in a matter of minutes, then everything went on easily.

I think the rectangular tips are a work of art, but that's just my opinion. I would have been happier if I didnt have to clearance ANY tubes, but I guess I would be dreaming for that to happen.

Old 08-04-2003, 01:48 AM
Banned

Dart(Grand Poobah)sp... So whats your opinion on the hedman shorties,same as spitfires? Looking at the pics of the spitfires they look like they would flow better than the hedmans due to the swept back collectors. I know the long length ones are best but unless your all out racing these shorter length tubes should be fine for steeters that see a little track? I have the shorties on mine and after the switch from the the stock logs I sure notice the difference. Mind you I swithced to an AirGap from the stock intake at the same time. Also i dont need to carry around a ball peen
Old 08-04-2003, 01:13 PM
Inactive User

Personally I think the Schumacher design looks better than the Spitfires, but that's just me.... and it's only for B/RB's which doesn't help your SB problem any

I'm surprised you had so much trouble with yours. Mine went on the GTX slicker n' snot last month. Easiest non-fenderwell install I ever had. I was pretty lucky that the prior owner did ONE thing right and used new engine mounts.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:44 PM
Inactive User

All full length headers even TTI's can cause fitment problems especially on smallblocks. No two cars are exactly alike and power steering, manual steering, auto trans and manual trans each have their own problems. Some guys just get luckier than others.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:37 AM
Inactive User

How old are the insulators?, if they are old they will have compressed due to age, lowering the engine position...you mentioned having to put in spacers.

Did you check the measurement specs for the correct position of the engine in the engine compartment?

If you want some local expertise/help please contact me via email
Old 08-05-2003, 10:38 AM
Inactive User

LittleCamp....

I think anyone would tell you that the shorty headers in general are better than the manifolds, but the full length headers are the way to go. If you are slightly warmed up you should be able to get away with the shorty headers. I was way over the capabilities of the spitfires (.509/.292 cam, 10 to 1, Edel heads, 830 Holley, etc.). I went from the cheapo full length headmans to the shorty Spitfires and like I said it was like putting a cork in a bottle. The Spitfires and the Shorty headmans are just fine for a mildly built motor (read stock cam, or just slightly larger) intake, and carb.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:57 PM
Inactive User

I posted a lot of this awhile back, too.

I put in TTIs in my 71 Dart Swinger. I ran into some of the same problems. Hope this helps for perspective buyers.

1. STARTER - Stock starter did not fit without denting one of the pipes. Mopar Denzo style mini starter had to be squeezed in with a crowbar. BUY the POWERMASTER XS starter. Slid right in no problems. Plus very powerful compared to both other units. Worth every penny of the $199 asking price.

2. Z-BAR - I had no clearance at the z-bar, had to make a slight bend there, too. Don't know of a good fix for this one.

3. As for the motor mounts, I didn't run into that problem, which is probably why you have steering box clearance problems there.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:16 PM
Inactive User

I am wondering if the problems you all have had are from a newer style K-frame ('73 and up) with the new style doughnut mounts? I had some clearance issues with the Headmans on my '70 Dart that had the '73 buscuit style K-Frame in it.