Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-21-2001, 10:42 PM
Inactive User

Default 383 intake install

Hi Guys,
I have never installed an intake on a 68 383. My question is this.
I have an old "valley pan" can I reuse it as long as I put a little "BLACK RTV" around the ports? Also I have two pieces of metal strips that go on the front and rear these go ONTOP of the valley pan right?
Thanks
Jon
68 RR
Old 07-22-2001, 12:05 AM
Inactive User

Don't use RTV to seal your intake, when RTV is exposed to gasoline it will eventually turn to slimy goo. If you read the small print on the back of the tube you'll see that I'm telling the truth. Get a new bathtub gasket and a set of the supplemental paper gaskets. Spray the paper gaskets with hi-tack and stick one to the face of each head and one to each side of the intake manifold. Put a bead of RTV along the front and rear of the engine block the set the tub in place. Put the metal strips on top at each end and put the bolts in finger tight. Carefully set the mainfold onto the engine so the gaskest don't move out of place. With the paper gaskets it might be necessary to pry down on the intake to get the bolts started. Don't forget that the throttle cable bracket goes on the drivers side rear and the return spring bracket goes on the drivers side front. Start at the center bolts and work your way outward tightening in 10 lb increments to 40 ft/lbs. Tighten the bolts on the metal strips and give it some time for the sealer to dry. Do it right the first time or you will have to do it over!
Old 07-22-2001, 12:23 AM

I would use a new valley pan. I've never needed to use extra gaskets with the FelPro valley pans. The FelPro pans come with brush tack, to make a good seal.