Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Car Audio Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-22-2001, 12:37 AM
Inactive User

Default Amp/Sub Advice

I'm not very educated in the amp/sub dept. and I'm getting ready to install a system in my truck. I'm in the process of building a box for my subs (2 10" Sony Xplodes) and I haven't bought my amp yet. The subs are rated at 150 RMS/600 peak @ 4 ohms. What I need to know is:

1.) What size amp will I need? (watts, channels, ohms)

2.) Am I better off hooking up the subs separately or hooking them up together and bridging the amp to mono?

3.) Do I need to put some polyfill in the sub box and if so, do I just stuff it in or do I attach it to the inside?

4.) Can a switch be installed in the remote power wire to have the ability to be able to shut off the amp if I choose to not have it on?

5.) Where is the best place to route your power wire to hook it up to the battery?

Sorry about so many questions.
I appreciate any info you can provide.
Old 07-22-2001, 01:09 AM
Banned

Ok first thing. Are your subs dual voice coil? Let me know and ill get back to you on the amp.

Now for the polyfill. You only need that stuff if the box your putting the speaker/s in is not the right size for the speakers. Basically, what that stuff does is makes the speakers think they are in the right size box. So if your building the box to speaker specs, you wont need to use that stuff.

Yes, a switch can be installed between the remote wire to turn the amp off and on whenever you want. Installing the switch should explain itself, but if ya need help, let me know.

For the power wire, run it on the same side of the truck where the battery is located. Makes an easier installation.
Old 07-22-2001, 05:04 PM
Inactive User

Default BrandonW

The subs are not dual voice coil. Thanks for the replies on the other questions.
Old 07-22-2001, 07:12 PM
Banned

If both subs are 4ohm single voice coil, that means they can only be wired in 2ohms or 8ohms. So, you would need to buy an amp that is 2ohm(mono) stable. Bridging an amp, makes the subs sound ALOT better than running them normal. What kind of amp you thinking of? Let me know
Old 07-25-2001, 02:06 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by BrandonW
If both subs are 4ohm single voice coil, that means they can only be wired in 2ohms or 8ohms. So, you would need to buy an amp that is 2ohm(mono) stable. Bridging an amp, makes the subs sound ALOT better than running them normal. What kind of amp you thinking of? Let me know
by bridging the amp it wont make it sound better, it will be louder and in mono (not stereo) form. If your amp is only stable to 4ohm mono (70-75% are this way) you will eventually hurt the amp or the speakers in one way or another. If you want to get an amp cheap with out getting an amp that is truely stable to 2 ohm mono (usually the go to 1 ohm and good ones can be $$) Get a small 4channel (40x4) and bridge it on the 10's so you'll have two channels at full power and at 4ohm each.

Make sure you get a toggle switch (or whatever type of switch you get) that can handle the current draw from your amp/radio
Old 07-25-2001, 11:29 AM
Inactive User

Damn! You beat me to it. As KnuKonceptz said, it won't sound better, only potentially louder.
Old 07-26-2001, 11:21 PM
Banned

I hate to sound blunt here, but you hook a speaker up to L+ L- on the amp. Listen to it. Then hook the speaker up to L+R- and listen to it that way. You will hear a MAJOR sound difference bridging it(L+R-). It sounds so much better. Try it out and tell me which way you like.
Old 07-27-2001, 12:13 AM
Inactive User

Obviously if you hook up JUST ONE speaker to one channel of one amp in stereo it will sound like crap, If you bridge just one woofer it will sound better because you now have the left and right channels summed together to produce bass from both channels. Basically by hooking up one speaker on one channel your listening to half the music

If you have two 4 ohm speakers (one on the left, one on the right channel) it would have the same frequency response as a bridged amp (all your doing is raising the output since you now have an amp in 2ohm mono as compared to 4 ohm stereo) Now if his amp is not stable to 2 ohm mono (most amps are not, read the manual to find out if you must, most people dont) then your advice would cause the amp to fail sooner or later (most likely sooner) Now if he wired his two 4ohm speakers in series, he'd have 8ohm mono, which puts out the same power as 4 ohm stereo, I bet those two sound very similar to each other
Old 07-28-2001, 12:53 AM
Inactive User

good point to make sure it is 2ohm stable MONO.. alot are 2ohm stable in stereo only.