Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Diesel & Turbo Diesel Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-23-2001, 04:29 PM
Inactive User

Red face Ford . . . powered by Dodge

Seems Ford is planning on producing a diesel powered Explorer - and the diesels they are going to use are "Detroit Diesel" - which (last I heard) was owned by Daimler / Chrysler.

so you may have to share the spot next to you at upcoming Mopar shows with an Explorer
Old 07-29-2001, 03:40 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs down

Nooooooooooooo !! that figures
Old 09-05-2001, 04:38 PM
Inactive User

Default Detroit Diesel

If you go to Mexico you can get a Dodge Dakota with a Detroit Diesel in it Wish they would sell them here.
Old 09-11-2001, 05:03 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs down detroit diesel bad

It is not a good thing to have the detroit diesel engine on the mopar side. They suck on reliability. Camshafts usually have to changed out at 130,000 and engines rebuilt only 20,000 more miles after that on most semis. The V design on diesels sucks. Cummins is the smart one of the bunch with keeping the inline motor. If anyone was smart they would change the design to inline. I am halfway a ford man too because of family ties, and I absolutely hate the powerstroke. It holds no ground to the cummins engine in the rams. I hope that cummins is not let go or else plan on spending big money on rebuilding every 100,000 miles with detroit diesel.
Old 09-14-2001, 01:13 AM
Inactive User

Default Re: Ford . . . powered by Dodge

Quote:
Originally posted by RAM MAN
Seems Ford is planning on producing a diesel powered Explorer - and the diesels they are going to use are "Detroit Diesel" - which (last I heard) was owned by Daimler / Chrysler. ...
As small as the Exloder is, I would imagine Ford will be using a small-ish inline 4 cylinder diesel. Small motors usually don't have the stresses put on them like the class 7 and 8 motors do. As long as the engine is built from the ground up as a diesel, it will do well. And most of those smaller vehicles are getting tired at 100K miles. For 'throwaway' consumer products, it makes economical sense to put a 130K mile motor in a 130K mile vehicle. They aren't driven or worked as hard as are our diesel Rams. I've got 95K miles on mine in 3 years, and that little because I haven't worked, commuted or travelled much in the past year. (I really do need to get out more.)

Didn't DD show a Dakota in Detroit with an in-line
4 cylinder diesel? I do wish more auto mfrs would take a chance on diesels again. VW can't import enough of theirs, and there aren't any other small- to medium-sized diesels available. (GM's offering doesn't *really* count, does it?)

Fest3er