Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-24-2001, 10:27 AM
Inactive User

Question Dual coils setup?

I am going to attempt to intall 2 coils on my engine. I plan to run two GM HEI modules and have the distributor wires spliced so I can run them to the 2 GM HEI modules. Here's the problem I want to bridge the coils so they fire simultaneosly through one wire. So does anyone know of a way to do this? When they get the signal to fire I want one wire connected to both so that all the energy goes to the distributor, get it? Call it your poor mans " thundervolt " The idea is that I will be running the coils together through one wire and hence doubling the current coils output, Thundervolt lives here!!! Call me nuts or just plain crazy but I really think it will work. I apologize to my fellow mopar feinds for mentioning GM or even using GM parts but unfortunately this is the only way to get it done and believe me I researched this.
Old 07-24-2001, 02:25 PM

MSD
Old 07-24-2001, 02:31 PM
Inactive User

Default Double Coils?

I doubt that there is enough to gain to warrant going through all this. Combustion efficiencies on engines is 95% or better, so I don't see much room for improvement. Thermal efficiencies are around 25% (compression ratio, heat transfer, etc.), so any big gains would be in that area.

You might try the MSD catalog to see if they have a system to switch between coils. The oval track guys run two systems, but only one distributor.
Old 07-24-2001, 03:21 PM

Instead of trying to make two coils work together, why not just use a better coil. Try something like the Jacobs coil or the MSD Blaster. While your at it, get yourself the MSD 6AL.
Old 07-24-2001, 08:07 PM
Inactive User

Default Dual Coils ?

I'm a born tweaker I like to do things myself it challenges the mind of the inventer. I like challenges especially when they don't cost a dime. Going to take the little lady for a cruise and a movie with all the money I'm going to save later! Junkyard Paradise!
Old 07-24-2001, 09:31 PM
Inactive User

Default Dr. Jacobs has a system for you.........And a pacemaker for your bad heart....

If you are just after a hotter (higher current) spark the system you need is a Jacobs Energy Pac. There are several different types of Enegry Pac systems but the main thing is they work on a totally different principal than MSD or some of the other CD iginition systems. A Jacobs system 'sense' spark resistance. In other words; when your cylinder pressure is changes throughout the RPM range. Rather than throwing multiable sparks at it; it sends a spark plenty hot enough to do the job. It's kind of a SMART iginition system.
I installed one on my Coronet and was surprised when I noticed better low end grunt and a crisper throttle response. It promises better gas mileage too but we will have to see.
Old 07-24-2001, 09:57 PM

I have considered this myself, for no apperant reason other than If it could be done. How about a dual pickup lean burn distributor with a vacuum or mechanical advance plate. Run this to 2 ECU's and coils, and finally splice custom wire kit at the boot. You could misphase the pickups by about a degree or 2 and have a real poor mans MSD system. Seems you would need a diode or something to stop the out of phase sparks from running up the other lead to the cap though...hmmm.
Old 07-24-2001, 10:22 PM
Inactive User

What 70 Ted said...
Old 07-25-2001, 11:00 AM
Inactive User

Lightbulb Hey Pishta !

You win the Grand Prize and the million dollars. Out of all these people you're the only one to hit the nail on the head. You're on to something. I'm going to look into the dual pickup distributor but me thinks not . Maybel I wasn't clear enough. 1 pickup distributor sending one signal to two coils on when to fire, so there's no chance of misfire. I'm almost done, just fabricating some 18 gauge wire to bridge the coils together and they will be insulated with 8mm ignition wire. Wish me luck.

Dare to be Different!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Old 07-25-2001, 09:29 PM
Inactive User

Vettkilla- I strongly doubt this will work. There are several "theoretical" reasons why. However, I like the basic premise. Even if it dosen't work, my hat is off to you for giving it a shot. Let us know. I for one am interested in the results.......djs