Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-24-2001, 12:39 PM
Inactive User

Default Question Tires and rear suspension

Hi fellow Mopar men. I have a 68 charger and woudl like to know what you guys recommend for a rim and tire combo. I want to go with 17" rims, but how wide can i go without rubbing the wheel well. I have a completely stock suspension and it binds badly with the motor and rear work i have had done. SO the other questions is...Should i by the SS springs and call it done or shoud i leave the stock springs on and get a snubber or T-bars. WHat about shocks. Will air shocks mess up my geometry to much. I was told in the past to add a snubber with one air shock on the passanger side and that woudl make a big difference. Right now i can plant much power. T-bars look ungly and take away from the appearence in my view. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 07-24-2001, 02:56 PM
Inactive User

IMO I would stay with an 8" wide rim and run the SS springs with a pinion snubber (adjustable). The snubber should be easy to find and even easier to put in. Air shocks I find to be useless around town as they ride pretty crappy. No need for t-bars that don't quite fit Mopars anyway. My "A" is using coil-over shocks from an early Ranchero GT. With that you should be able to hook pretty well. PST from New Jersey has rear sway bars for you as well ($119, I think). I would also stay away from extended shackles as they seem to throw off the geometry, at least on mine they do. But then again, I need the clearance until I can relocate my springs.
Old 07-24-2001, 05:41 PM
Dis-Member

I've seen a '68 Charger with 17x8 Torq Thrust IIs. Looked pretty cool. Not sure what size tire though. I remember the owner commenting that the fronts would rub occasionally.

I think you want the HD springs, not the Super Stock springs. Super Stock springs require relocating the front hanger and are intended more for racing. For a street car, the HD springs are perfect. Use a snubber.

Leave the airshocks and traction bars for the chevy guys.

You need to qualify your question a little better though. What kind of horsepower are you talking about? Is it an auto or manual? What is the primary use of the car? Are you trying to raise or lower it?
Old 07-24-2001, 11:07 PM
Inactive User

On my '70 Charger SE I had 15x8.5 standard offset wheels with L50-15 tires (12" wide tread) using stock springs. They filled the wheel well up pretty good and didn't rub on anything, with the right wheel offset an even bigger tire should fit. I have 29 x 12.50-15's on the back of my GTX with about an inch of clearance on the inside and about 3/4 inch between the sidewall and the outside lip of the wheel well. If I remember correctly, the Charger has a larger wheel well opening than other B-Bodies of the same vintage.