Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-18-2000, 12:53 AM
Inactive User

Question

have problem power shifting at higher rpm.especially 2nd to 3rd.had trans rebuilt /new clutch/new pilot bushing.i have a lakewood skattershield.on the car.also have a vibration at high rpm through the shifter. need help!

mjjm2@aol.com
Old 10-18-2000, 02:17 AM
Inactive User

Your problems might be from the Lakewood scattershield. Did you have these problems before? If not, it is from the scattershield. The shield is stamped from steel and the tolerances are not very good. The shield could be off centerline of the crankshaft or could be that the shield does not mount the trans squarely with the engine. As far as the shifting at higher RPM's there is some mods you can make to the trans, but I would check out the scattershield first. (I had the same problems with my Lakewood scattershield) Good Luck!!

------------------
'98 Ram 4X4 V-10, '86 Daytona 498" Blown/Injected, '71 Cuda 340 W-2 heads & 4 speed
Old 10-18-2000, 08:48 PM
Inactive User

One of the recent MP mags had an article on 4 speed tech. one thing that stuck out is the need for the shifter to pass directly on center between 2nd and third, because of the way the interlocks are designed. This allows the tranny to align for the next shift. I have had this problem, and thought it was my sloppy shifting. I am also told that cf dual friction clutches don't cotton to powershifting( they throw too far over the pilot bushing).This may contribute to your problem. My shifter has always vibrated at high RPM, and I have had this before and after a tranny rebuild, crate motor, and motormounts. It must be inherent in the small block, but anything over 3000rpm, the shifter handle buzzes(along with the rest of the drivetrain).
Try shiftiing with the engine off, and you can feel the tranny "snap" at the crossover between 2nd and third. This is where you need to be for fast shifts.