Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-24-2001, 09:11 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin Installed Jacobs iginition system tonight!

Believe it or not I had one of the OLD 'Energy Pac' systems lying around that my brother scored at a swap meet and never used so I ended up with it.
I think this was one of Dr. Jacobs first ones because all it says is "Jacobs ENERGY PAC" on it. It has a black case and a inline switch that lets you defeat the iginition all together or switch back to the conventional iginiton system. I bolted it up and was suprised to notice better throttle response and slightly more low end grunt.
As far as I know the Jacobs systems work on a different principal than a CD ignition system. Rather than just firing off more than one spark a Jacobs system senses the 'spark resistance' (cylinder pressure) and then fires off a spark hot enough for that reading.
The manual stressed that you need at least a gap of .045" and it will work better if you get the gap correct for your engine. Goodie! More experimenting to do.
Old 07-24-2001, 11:57 PM

I had a system just like that one, a few years ago. It was pretty good. Do to the cam that was in my engine, if it idled to long, it would actually flood out. The Jacobs cured that. It also had better throttle response.

As far as the spark goes, it actually is multiple spark discharge. It measures the resistance of the spark through the engine ground. It will keep sparking the plug, until optimum resistance it met. It is not one solid spark, but multiple sparks. The initial plasma charge does a better job of ionizing than than a long term spark. Dr. Jacobs incorporated this into the box.