Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-14-2000, 02:25 AM
Inactive User

It mystifies me. When I show up some place looking for a part it suddenly transforms from rusty metal into solid gold and back again as soon as I leave. Or better yet, what I am looking for becomes invisiable to everyone but me when I am scrounging around a junkyard.
I am seriously going to dress up in some ragged dirty clothes and then, when I am talking to the junk yard king, mispronounce every word with more than two sylibols. Maybe then I will be welcomed into their tribe and I can buy some parts from them with out them trying to rape me on the price or disavow all knowledge of MoPars.
I am constantly amazed how idiotic some of these people behave when I am out parts hunting. I have a theory though; After years of living in that shack on the edge of the junkyard, the toxic exposure of used motor oil seepage into their ground water has warped their minds. A paranoia insues that makes them think that anyone with a command of the english language will take advantage of them unless he is run off in a hurry!
Actually I wouldn't mind having a yard full of junk cars myself. My neighbors would hate me and the county I live in will fine me and eventually seize my property because of zoning voilations. So alas, I can't own my own junkyard. But it would be nice if those who still deal in old MoPar parts stop discriminating against me just because I have all my teeth or have not married an immediate member of my own family.
OK This Rant is over. If I have offended anyone then have your ground water checked!!
On the other hand if you find curious similar experiances reflected here you can add to this thread and know you are not alone Brother!~
Old 10-14-2000, 03:27 AM
Inactive User

DR.R,ive been playing the junkyard game for years.you never need road runner parts,you need SATALITE parts.you dont ask for super bee parts,its CORONET parts,etc.and never tell them its for a car you're restoring,because the price instantly doubles.
Old 10-14-2000, 05:19 AM
Inactive User

I've found a few rules that work pretty well. If the yard is owned by the guy who runs it, I try to get to know him and stay on his good side. Once you do that, it is a big help. If the yard is a corporate yard that is run by employee's, I just tell them I'm looking for Dodge Dart parts. (Valiant also works) I avoid yards where they pick the parts since that just never seems to work out very well. Most yards have gone UpullIt around here and that works out pretty well.
Old 10-14-2000, 06:47 PM
Inactive User

I find all the "STATION WAGON" parts my `69 Coronet needs!And you are right on DOC when i find "inbreeding" I take the part throw it over the fence to my kids (they run a hell of alot faster) or get it later after closing. But i'm not bitter!!! Fire with Fire! Most yarddawgs around here are cool but will bend you over if they "know" you really want it-just be cool but try and find who's ok and who is just an ASSHOLE!!!! But i'm NOT bitter..really c ya

------------------

Fast Ladies (Very Slow Gin)
Old 10-15-2000, 03:43 PM
Inactive User

I'm mainly speaking of those 'backwoods' salvage yards run by individuals. When you are looking for 30 year old MoPar parts that is about the only place you can find them locally. Their ridiculous clanish attitude is what I cannot understand. All I want is to buy a part. Not obtain a soil sample or look for a moonshine still!
Old 10-18-2000, 06:18 AM
Inactive User

What is it with the service at wrecking yards? I call places about parts and some places say they have whatever you are looking for and others never have anything. But you go there and find out more about thier mopar selection than they know.As for parts selections 10% of the yards around here(MN) have 74 & older mopar. The cars are well picked over. and some of them have crushers on site, One place cleared out 1/2 thier 60-70 mopar section and doubled the price on what was left. We need a wrecking yard forum. MOPAR RULES
Old 10-18-2000, 03:03 PM
Inactive User

I only look in the U-pull it yards, unless I have been rummaging around for a few hours - that way I am all greasy, then I put on my Bud hat and add a little drawl to my speech. You would be surprised what you can buy. Works every time.
Old 10-18-2000, 10:04 PM

I have relations with all the local yards in this area that cover the entire range of possibilities. Everything from "Go ahead and let us know what you find" to "We don't have any of those", or "Our insurance says you can't go in the yard". I won't buy anything unless I see it still on the car myself. So I know what it really came off of. Unless I can identify it some other way, like with casting numbers or whatever. Since all the yards around here know me, it's too late for me to use these tricks here, but you can try them. I might use them if I go somewhere else to look.

Call on the phone before you go, ask what kinds of Mopars they have and so forth. If they sound friendly, there usually isn't a problem. If you get a negative answer, try going there later or the next day. Don't shave, have old clothes on, look like a real loser, if possible, borrow someone else's non-Mopar vehicle if they can see your car from their office. Go in asking for Phord or Shivvy parts for cars you can see from outside the fence, sound like a real idiot (like a Phord person) when you talk. Once you have passed their initiation test, get in the yard, go straight for the Mopars, and get what you want, come back and ask how much for this thing like you hardly even know what it is.
I think you get the idea. Most junkyards don't have a lot of Mopars, or Mopar people. We have to cover up our natural intelligence and good taste in cars, use a lot of subterfuge, and bring ourselves down to their level.