Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-09-2000, 11:03 PM

Question

What is the best and easiest way to take off old undercoating ? I may have found a suitable Duster to use for my up-and-coming /6 race car, but as luck would (not) have it, it is totally undercoated, and that's just dead weight on a race car. To look at the floorpan on my Valiant, I'd say that soaking it with oil for a few months might work, but I'm not gonna wait that long. So, what else ? Scraping ? How about that Methelyne Chloride paint remover ? Any other ideas ?
Old 10-10-2000, 12:46 AM
Inactive User

Undercoating is pretty nasty stuff. You have the right idea's, it's just gona take some time. Throw it on the lift and scrape as much as you can. How much comes off depends on how long it's been on the car. Afterwards take some paint thinner, or that stuff you mentioned, on a rag or something to apply it to the belly of car. Try to get it to soak up much as possible then start scraping again . This is the messy process . You probbably want gloves for the thinner. Repeat this untill you wipe belly of car clean with rag/rags of thinner. "the more you scrape the many more clean rags you won't be using." Don't leave thinner on skin for to long. Dirty job?, extreamly. Time consuming, not really, you can easily have it done in a day. Not saing it's the only way but as a previous detailer it's the way I would go about it Good luck.
Old 10-10-2000, 09:42 PM
Inactive User

i found a good way to remove under-coat is too spray it with brake clean or gum cutter scrape away and then use a high pressure washer and repeat if nesscary
Old 10-11-2000, 12:10 AM
Inactive User

I am doing the same thing on my 69 barracuda.I scrape what I can then take a propane torch and lightly heat it,comes off real easy.Finish cleaning with laquer thinner.

------------------
72 barracuda
69 barracuda
Old 10-11-2000, 05:19 PM
Inactive User

An industrial electric heat gun & stiff putty knife will work .

------------------
BFRACN
Old 10-17-2000, 08:34 PM
Inactive User

A 3000psi hot water pressure washer. Blows it off no problem. How do I know? I just did it. Messy but the washer does everything. Took about 8 hrs.
Old 10-18-2000, 01:39 AM
HOT ROD JOHN

SOMEONE TOLD ME KEROSENE, BUT I HAVE NEVER TRIED IT.
Old 10-19-2000, 02:58 AM
Inactive User

I found that a god brushing with a wire brush and then a thick coat of paint remover (aircraft remover) let it sit for a while and then scrape it with a putty knife. It worked good for me. Just make sure you bush it with the wire brush to remove all the dirt or the paint remover wont work very well.
I hope this helps.
Mike