Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-26-2001, 10:45 AM
Inactive User

Default Hey Small Block Stroker folks!

I just talked with KB/Silvolite yesterday and put in a new product request for some claimer hypereutectic pistons for the 360 and 4" stroke crank.
I got the idea when my chevy friend showed me his 400 claimer pistons and they only cost him $149 from Scoggins Dickey.
Anyway they are considering producing them so call those guys and help get the ball rolling. Imagine pistons for that combo less than $200! I requested flat tops with one set of valve reliefs.
Thanks in advance!
Old 07-26-2001, 10:58 AM
Inactive User

Default Those are the very ones that break.

Call Darius at Ross pistons. He's my neighbor and a die hard Mopar guy. You get what you pay for.
Old 07-26-2001, 11:09 AM
Inactive User

Question

Valley Ant, What do you mean those are the ones that break? they don't even make them yet. The regular Kieth Black pistons are fine to 6500 rpm. So did you squeeze or overrev your stroker?
Old 07-26-2001, 12:09 PM
Inactive User

Default Never said that.

Nowhere in my response did I say that they break or even imply that they break. I have just learned so much about how critically important the manufacturing process, quality control, and initial information gathering determines how well the piston runs in a car.

I was thoroughly impressed with ROSS, their quality control, and the technical know how of my friend who works there. My eyes have been opened by what he has told me abot pistons, the manufacturing process, the equipment, and processes that he uses.

Although it would be improper of me to mention the customers that use their pistons, I have learned that they are some very big names in racing.

That's all that I was saying.
Old 07-26-2001, 04:27 PM
Inactive User

Question

ValleyAnt, I guess I got the wrong idea from your subject field at the beginning of your reply.
It reads "those are the very ones that break". Sorry for the mix up. I don't want to imply that you made an implication...

Anyway, I love those ROSS unit's and have purchased other Big Block units in the past, I think they go for $475, but for what I'm doing, the far less expensive hypereutectic pieces will serve just fine. I'm on a low budget and I have to learn what will work for the least amount of cash.
I was just amazed when my friend showed me the reciept for the pistons. These are the same ones that are in his 400 that I helped him build. Here's a short rundown.
The engine is .030 over, 10.2:1, 280/480-230@.050 hydraulic cam. dual plane intake, 600 holley, 1 5/8" headers, stock vortec heads.
The car weighs 3850 with him in it, has a 2.73 gear, and a 2300 stall converter. It runs 12.8's due to the superior power from a very good .040" quench area. He shifts at 5500. this is at 2100ft in the desert.
I expected it to run well since I tried to concentrate on making torque, but it exceeded my expectations. Shifting at 5500, the engine is going to last a long time.
All I am saying is I can easily out perform that with a similar Mopar engine, with those cheap claimer pistons. I know Ross is better, but it's overkill for me.
Old 07-27-2001, 12:46 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Valley Ant

You need glasses!!! You state there the very ones that break in the post subject area.
I also say that to mention a name of a customer is not improper because if they race, they would use the companys name on the side of the car.
Or is the a problem of contingency moneys with the company?
A private person like myself would not be mentioned in a reply. For me to say John Doe in Christmas town U.S.A. would be wrong.
To say John Force is useing "X" stuff from "ZEE" company is fine because he is. The companys logo is on the side of the car.
Old 07-27-2001, 02:40 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin Whoops, my bad. I thought one thing and wrote another.

Sorry, didn't mean to start a war. What I wanted to say in the initial title was "Aren't those the ones that break?". I heard that they are so hard that they are brittle. I'm just trying to find out which are better for cheaper as well as anyone, cause I'm still not made of money no matter how hard I scratch. So far, I'm convinced that Ross is some good stuff, although not inexpensive stuff. Still my philosophy, based on info given about pistons still stands, you get what you pay for. Peace.
Old 07-27-2001, 09:23 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

OK cool. I thought I had a psycho or a brand "J" fan on board.