Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-26-2001, 05:24 PM

Default Time to Start Motor.... I have a question?

Okay... My 440 is back together with it's new 906 milled / Ported heads and new Hughes Cam and Roller Rockers....
Also installed a MSD 6AL and MSD ProBillet Distributor... Here's my question....

Piston 1 at TDC... Balancer at 0 degrees' (Checked this before putting heads back on)... Rotor on Distributor is in between connectors on Distributor... I just picked a hole and put #1 plug wire in place.... then went around counter-clockwise and inserted all plug wires per firing order. Backfire through the carb..... Okay so the plugs are firing with the intake valve open... Timing too far advanced.... Does it really matter where I start my plug wires on the distributor top as long as the rotor lines up to #1 plug on TDC.... ???? Should I try to line up rotor to #1 plug exactly at TDC.... or should I try to set the timing a bit before I start it?

Last time I did this was on a Chevy and I put the Distributor in 180 degrees out..... Kabam.... That one was an easy fix.... I'm going to try to fire this thing up again after I get home from work.... Any input on wiring up the Distributor / Plugs is appreciated.... Thanks Everyone...
Old 07-26-2001, 06:33 PM
Inactive User

turn the key on,put srewdriver in #1 plug wire,set engine on #1 at what timing you want to start at (8 degrees?),and turn dist back and forth . you should see spark jump when your there. that will get you close enough to start engine.
Old 07-26-2001, 06:35 PM
Inactive User

Ok here is what I do. I start by turning the engine over by hand until there is compression in #1 cylinder ( either have someone put a finger in the plug hole or compression tester). keep turning it until its at the timing you want the engine at. Put the #1 wire where the cap says #1 for counterclockwise. Then put the oil pump shaft in and turn it so it will line up the rotor with #1 wire and the vacuum advance canister is in a good location for timing adjustment. Bolt it in and leave it a little loose. Fire it up and set timing. It will fire this way first try. If you have backfire through carb its retarded, advanced will turn it over uneven and sounds like it can't turn over. 180 out backfires through exhaust and likley gernades mufflers. Oops I've done that...hehehe.
Old 07-26-2001, 06:38 PM

70 GTX .. I'm not sure I understand.... Put a screwdriver in #1 plug wire and ground to block? then twist distributor with key to the "on" position and it should spark to block? Use timing marks to set timing?..... Sorry I'm a little slow today....
Old 07-26-2001, 06:45 PM
Inactive User

It won't really matter where you start putting the wires on as long as you follow the firing order and go in the right direction. With the #1 cylinder coming up to TDC on the compression stroke stop at 10 BTDC. Rotate the distributor so the rotor lines up with #1 on the cap.
Old 07-26-2001, 10:43 PM
Inactive User

just get the no. 1 piston up to tdc in compression stroke, you will feel it with your finger on the spark plug hole, then line up your rotor to no. 1 cylinder, this will get your car started, then once it starts, set your timing to 10 degrees bdtcthen let it warm up. but do not crank it to long, do short cranking for about 3 to 5 seconds at a time. if you go longer you could wear down a lobe or lobes on your cam. do it this way and it should start. good luck.
Old 07-27-2001, 03:26 PM

Okay.... Went 10 degrees BTDC and lined up rotor to #1 plug wire.... It should start but is backfiring through the carb..... I'm starting to wonder if I have a head gasket leak now.... I'm going to do a compression test tonight to see if I can see anything...

After turning motor over I can hear air leaking somewhere or so it sounds like that.... It sound like compressed air escaping and I have a bad feeling it's coming from the carb....
Old 07-27-2001, 06:03 PM
Inactive User

Was it on the compression stroke when you lined it up? You have a 50/50 chance when just putting it at TDC by the damper. You have to make sure its on the compresion stroke which will be once every 2 turns. You are likely 180 out. It will at least kick first try cause timing should be real close. Or since its backfiring through carb you are 1 out on the cap retarded. Try advancing alot.
Old 07-27-2001, 06:13 PM

I could swear it was on compression stroke since I checked rockers to see if exhaust valve was open.... I will double check again.... I see where you are going with this on the rotor position .... I will triple check tonight.... Thanks for the ideas...

I will also check spark since this is a new MSD system and it's the first time it's been installed.... Here's something I've never seen before... I pulled coil wire going to Dist so engine would not fire and turned motor over with key.... The coil actually shot a spark out the top ... Wow... I couldn't reproduce that.... but for a spark to actually come out of the top (Since Air is a good insulator) is impressive...
Old 07-30-2001, 12:59 PM

Got it.... Thanks guys.... The solution was right in front of me... 180 degrees out.... Started checking again and yes the rotor was not where it should have been.... Fired right up.... (I have also rewired my ignition and put an MSD 6AL box / Distributor in so I thought maybe I did something wrong there.... )

It sounds good too! I hope it runs as good as it sounds!