Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-27-2001, 12:13 AM
Inactive User

Default Competition Engineering 8/10 pt cages

Anyone have any experience with Competition Engineering's 8/10 point cages. I'm curious about where the bar welds to the floor, about fit, and about other modifications required, like the rear crowl, rear seats, etc.

My application is a 73 b-body, [rear bench seat, front buckets coming soon] which i assume i can use 71-73 e-body applications. Thanks.
Old 07-27-2001, 12:56 AM
Inactive User

The cage if left alone will not pass over the back seat. I like S&W cages better. Lot more options and better prices. Also if you use a regular car seat how will you fasten it to the bar. I dont think the seat has to be fastend somewhere to the bar. But im not sure. ANyone else on this?
Old 07-27-2001, 02:43 AM
Inactive User

As far as the seat is concerned, As long as it solid, doesn't rock should be fine. Are you going to race it? LACR, depends on the track TECH. Are you doing the install yourself, the reason for buying a Kit bar. If you buy a bar kit, go with Morrison. My friend in Gardena does Roll bars and cages, if you want can refer you to him.
Old 07-27-2001, 02:51 AM
Inactive User

This site tells you the baics to install a bar. Pretty much the same with a cage. just a couple more bars. click here to view
Old 07-27-2001, 06:46 PM
Inactive User

Used one of their 10 pt. bars in my race car, many moons ago, it's still there, you have to grind and fit the plates to mesh with the door sills in the front , sides and back, the bars have to be notched for fit when you get ready to weld it together, the back bars need to go thru the back speaker panel above the back seat and extend into the trunk and be welded to the rear frame rails, and don't forget to x brace them together it makes the whole thing a lot stronger, and the short bars need to go from the main hoop down to the frame, and be welded to the front of the sub-frame, and don't forget that the bars going into the trunk need to be attached to the main hoop just above the driver's and passengers seat and need to be a little closer together in the trunk than in the front , this also makes the rollbar a lot stronger. One other thing I added a extra bar in mine that goes from the front of the main hoop in the middle to the passenger side door sill and this made the car a lot more ridgid than just with the rollbar, I never would have believed how much difference this one bar made, try it you'll like it. Thanks Dave
Old 07-27-2001, 08:35 PM

I put a S&W 8 point kit into my 73 Dart Sport last winter and the rear bars were 57" long and just barely made it into the trunk area. I called S & W and they said 57" was the correct length.
The year before I put a CE 8 point into my sons 83 Mustang GT and his rear bars were 70" long. With the 70" bars we were able to attach the rear bars right about the frame mount in the trunk.
So I put the 70" bars in my Dart and it fit great and I was able to bolt & weld the plate right to the rear frame rail this way. I saw a CE 8 point at the track in a 73 Duster and the rear bars were short just like my S&W kit, it even looked funny with the rear bars that short. I do think that cross bar from one side of the rear bars to the other is a good idea and I'm gona do it.
Old 07-27-2001, 10:59 PM
Inactive User

67 dart - where is your friend's shop located? near you in SoCal?

thanks for the reply guys, i've been considering a cage for awhile now, and before i get my headliner and buckets i'd like to finally get a cage for chasis rigidity. I'd also like to try to install it myself, as i know how to weld, grind, ....
Old 07-28-2001, 03:45 PM
Inactive User

Manny,
Yes, he is in Gardena, CA.
Give him a call, Speedway Muffler 15246 Crenshaw Blvd.
Gardena, CA. 90249 (310)323-1322 ask for Wayne tell him Eric said for you to call. Might help, might not???