Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > MOPAR NASCAR!

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-27-2001, 05:33 PM
Inactive User

Default Dodge gets rules change for Winston Cup

From Jayski.com:
Dodge Rules Change: NASCAR officials announced today that modifications to the front air dam for the NASCAR Winston Cup Series 2001 Dodge Intrepid will go into effect beginning with next weekend's NASCAR Winston Cup event at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. This modification will allow Intrepid teams to extend their front air dam two inches forward below the bumper from the current measurement. The front air dam is described as the area below the bumper. The bumper will remain in its standard position(NASCAR PR)(7-27-2001)
Old 07-28-2001, 09:49 AM
Founding Member

Thumbs up

This is just what the Dodge bodies needed to help them when they are back in the pack. Notice that they always did well up in front with clean air (also did generally well at qualifying), but they show problems as they fall back in the crowd and lose downforce. Marlin has complained about the "aero rules" on more than one occasion and this should help.

........"RB"
Old 07-28-2001, 10:32 AM
Mopar Nut!!

Thumbs up

This is gonna be a plus. Now let's see how Sterling can do now that things are a bit more evened up.

steve
Old 07-28-2001, 11:22 AM
Inactive User

I saw on Nascar.com that the Ford and GM boys are complaining about the change, of course this is expected. Funny, these same people were'nt whining when we had to have that 'roof lip' added to the tops of the cars for the Dega race.

Look at it this way, almost a quarter of the cars on the track are Dodges..................and we havent won anything yet! Odds would show that something is not right. Something needed to be done in our favor for a change.

I remember listening to DJ at the begining of the Daytona 500, he was complaing about the wind tunnel numbers on the Dodge. Dodge has a "unfair advantage" with their aero package. Maybe so! But they do not put 42 others cars in the tunnel do they? Wind tunnel testing gives you a good idea how slick the car is by itself!
Old 07-28-2001, 05:12 PM
Inactive User

Default AIRDAM

I just heard about it. Mighty nice of Nascar, maybe this will be the Dodge version of getting "The Call".
Old 07-28-2001, 05:12 PM
Inactive User

heres the entire artical http://www.newsobserver.com/ncwire/s...p-803088c.html
Old 07-28-2001, 09:50 PM
Inactive User

I don't know what the g.m. and ford boy's are whining about
with this rule change for dodge, if nascar would have left the
intrepid body stock and not modified it so much the dodge's
would be a lot faster.
Old 07-29-2001, 01:55 AM

what ever happend to letting the BEST car win? If one make does it better, then they obviously know what they're doing and the other guys dont. So what! If you're good, you're good. If you're not, tough sh*t. Go home and try something new. If this were actual "stock car" racing, then the dodges would win hands down every single race. I dont think the monte crapos or the taur-asses have close to 242 horsepower, do they?
Old 07-30-2001, 08:16 AM
Inactive User

Wink

Is the aero pkg change effective for just the Indy race, or are the Dodge boys allowed to use this change at other tracks too?

If dodge does well at Indy, there won't be enough news paper space to print all the crying that the Ford and GM guys are going to do. Not only the race teams, but the fans are going to have a fit, too. I don't really care what the racers say, they're never happy with any rule change, but popular opinion (Chevy fans) can really sway NASCAR.

I could be wrong, but I think even if Dodges place more than one or two cars in the top ten we're going to hear a lot of bitching. If a Dodge wins, well...

Be prepared.
Old 07-30-2001, 09:19 AM
Founding Member

Default The wailing soon to come ...........

You're right about the fan pressure and competing manufacturers (more recently, look what happened in SCCA with the Neon's). I remember back in the mid 60's and early 70's when the ChryCo camp was bringin' the "bow tie" & "blue oval" boys to their knees. Believe me, it was a beautiful sight. But it didn't last. Bill France / NASCAR bowed to the pressure of the fans and repeatedly slapped MoPar around to the point of no more participation. It was a sad day for the MoPar faithful. I tried to say I didn't care about NASCAR anymore. But I did. My hero was King Richard (I still have autographed pics of him with his '70 Superbird & '71 Road Runner hanging in my office), so I always kept an eye on his racing. I've waited a long time to see the MoPars out there again. The Dodge trucks are kickin' ass and takin' names. It's only a matter of time before the cars are too. Like Frankendart says, brace yourselves for the onslaught of WAAA WAAA WAAA from the MoPar "un-faithful" !!!

........."RB"
Old 07-30-2001, 10:39 AM
Inactive User

Arrow

Yesterday on the MRN radio broadcast of the race, they talked to Ray Evernham about the rules change. He said that in a previous rules change, the Chevies were allowed to extend their front air dams out two inches.

So it's about time NASCAR extend that favor to the Dodges.

Listening to yesterday's race reminded me of a race in the early 1990s where Bob Keselowski WON an ARCA race at Pocono in a black Chrysler LeBaron. Keselowski also finished second in points that year!
Old 07-31-2001, 09:01 AM
Inactive User

The Nascar rule change for the Dodge body allows for the front valence(the lower tip of the front air dam) to move forward by two inches. The front bumper remains in the same location. This will give more down force to the front of the cars. The effect of the change could be in the 50-120 lb. range depending on track speed.

Chevrolet had this change approved last year. Ford has been wanting this change also but it has not been approved as yet. That's why the Ford teams are so upset. They think it is unfair.

Dodge has been fighting an uphill battle in the handling department this year because the R5/P7 engine is about 70 lbs heavier than GM and 50 lbs heavier than Ford. Why is it heavier? Because with a new engine, they built it heavier to help insure reliability. And once it is an approved engine they can't change without Nascar approval and that won't occur until the end of the year.

Why does this front valence change help? When the Dodge is out front the front of the car has enough down force to keep the front/rear downforce balance driveable. Once the car gets in heavy traffic(behind another car) the rear spoiler of the car in front takes air off the front of the car in the rear. In the case of the Dodge it is enough to make the car tight. That's why if you see a Dodge pass another car it is almost always to the outside- because the car is too tight to pass on the inside. And if the car in front is slightly tight also then the Dodge doesn't have a chance to pass.

There is an old saying "Be careful what you ask for because you may get it". That may apply here because the front valence change will require a spring/maybe shock change and that may have the Dodge teams searching for a week or two.
Old 07-31-2001, 10:47 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Good information about the aerodynamics, suspension and effects...Its amazing (to me) what a little adjustment like that can do for handling at those speeds.

Thanks Sanborn!
Old 07-31-2001, 11:37 AM
Inactive User

Well, the aero change might help but has anyone heard what the status is on the new NASCAR block? It's supposed to be around 50 lbs lighter than the existing one and has already been submitted for approval to NASCAR who seems to be sitting on their hands (as usual).
Old 07-31-2001, 12:26 PM
Inactive User

Hopefully the new air dam will allow the Dodges to hang in there after the final caution/pit stop. For most of the year it seems that the Dodges could run in the lead pack up until the final pit stop. Up until that time, most of the teams are running about 95% and the Dodges seem to be able to keep up. After the last pit stop, when everybody cranks up that final 5% and shows what they have left, that seems to be the point where the Dodges start to drop off. As others have mentioned, at this point when the Dodges get a bit back in traffic, they seem unable to fight there way back to the lead and then just try to hang on for a top 5 or 10 finish.
As to the Dodge teams getting the "call" from NASCAR, I think they would have gotten it sooner if it hadn't been for Daytona and Earnhardts death. That pushed the priority for Dodges "call" back a bit to accomodate some other teams.
Old 07-31-2001, 11:35 PM
Inactive User

Red face The "call"

HOLY CRAP!!!!!

Here we go again with the "call"

I have only one thing to say.........Jarrett sucks!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-01-2001, 06:21 AM
Inactive User

Nascar makes body adjustments at any time during the season "in the interest of even competition" but usually only allows engine changes one time during the race season- at the beginning. So, if any new block, cylinder head or intake changes occur it will be at the beginning of next year.

I suspect they will approve new blocks and heads if they are lighter in weight since the Mopar units are heavier than GM and Ford. But they will not give Mopar a weight advantage. Ford has been trying to get an ultra lightweight block (very short deck height) approved for 2-3 years and approval has not been granted. In Ford's case it would compensate for the heavier cylinder head weight.
Old 08-01-2001, 05:04 PM

Good stuff, Sanborn! Thanks ...
Old 08-01-2001, 05:19 PM
Inactive User

During last Sunday's race, when the radio announcers said that Stacy Compton lost a cylinder I thought: well, that's bound to happen at a place like Pocono, this is only Dodge's first year back, etc., etc.

But then it turned out that just a plug wire had come loose! YES.

It seems to me like the Dodge motor has held together real well lately. After such a shaky start, I mean with all the rumors flying back at the beginning of the season.

Turns out the Dodge people did their homework.
Old 08-01-2001, 08:32 PM
Inactive User

The first R5 blocks did have a cracking problem down the center main bearing web. They changed the water jacket casting pattern to reduce water capacity/added more cast iron in the center main bearing web area and apparently solved the problem. The P7 heads have been troublefree from the start. Everything else (except intake manifold) is aftermarket and has been around for a while.