Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-28-2001, 09:46 PM
Inactive User

Default Im Puzzled

ok so heres my problem....my engine keeps fouling out spark plugs....i went through a set of champions in about a week then i took a step up to NGK's and those lasted about two weeks then yesterday i put in some autolites and they lasted a whole day..... i have a 360 with stock bottom end and 9:1 comp ratio i have edelbrock aluminum heads edelbrock performer intake and a carter 500 cfm carb(i know its small) my ignition is a stock electronic with a mechanical advance dist, my wires cap and rotor are all new.... and im getting great compression on all cylinders i make sure my gap is at .30 everytime i put a set of plugs in. someone told me that my jets might be too lean on my carb....is that possible? and if so would it ruin the plugs in one day? im baffled i need to get this car running right so i can sell if for what i know its worth...please help.
Old 07-28-2001, 10:45 PM
Inactive User

What do the insulators look like on the plugs? Wet? Sooty? tan or white?
Old 07-28-2001, 11:24 PM
Inactive User

theyre really sooty i know that means its running too rich right? but would that foul out the plugs? the electrodes are white at the very tips also...if that means anything.
Old 07-29-2001, 12:47 AM

Cool

Did this all start after the modification's? Or out of the blue?

Start with the basics, double check, then triple check that the plugs are the right ones for your application.
If the problems started after adding the heads and intake, start there.
I would call the Edelbrock tech people, make sure what heat range plugs they recommend. Also what to gap the plugs at.
Typical Mopar gap is .035".

How is your gas mileage? Is the choke sticking closed and loading up the cylinders with excess fuel?

Good luck,
Jeff C.
Old 07-29-2001, 01:15 AM
Inactive User

im sorry, i meant .35 as to what i set the gap at my gas mileage is absolutely horrible but im not sure if thats because i have a lead foot or not and im positive those are the right spark plugs i double checked with edelbrock the first time they all fouled out....i have manual choke so it cant be sticking closed and everything started after i put the aluminum heads on...i dont think theres excess fuel because the plugs are dry but it could be too rich of a mixture....i dont know....
Old 07-30-2001, 06:47 AM

When you say your plugs are sooty are they wet and smell like gas? You said the electrodes are white, that would be a lean condition. I mistook the gray ash of death, serious lean condition for what I thought was a rich condition and it cost me two pistons. I would play with the jetting and timing to see if you can correct it, good luck. <><