Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-29-2001, 09:48 PM
Inactive User

Default Oddly behaving rebuilt 318?

Just had this engine totally rebuilt and added a Holley 600cfm carb, Edelbrock intake, and a crane cam. Also an electric choke. The car now runs on unleaded. Still has the factory single exhaust which I will change to duals later on.

Points I've noticed:

At first start-up the car is fine, but it's increasingly more difficult to start on each trip during the day.

Sometimes (usually at the end of a day of driving around) the engine runs on for between 1 and 3 seconds.

The temp indicator leans towards high the more I drive but never goes right to 'H'. This happens regardless of speed.
Could the fan not be running at times, or not spinning fast enough?

Suggestions?
Old 07-29-2001, 11:22 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

From some of the things I have done wrong box;

Harder and harder to start the each day?
Is the distributor tight? Mine was loose and keep twisting witch also lead to the neaxt problem we have had, TEMP.
If the timing is to far, it'll get hot. Just this engine I did the first. (Distrib.) When it ran, it ran hot! Baked the Por-15 right off.
Running on. Might need a bit more octane if all else is good. And theres a lot to check before you do that.
Old 07-30-2001, 10:47 AM
Inactive User

Sounds like the carb is running too rich.

That would account for the dieseling (keeps running after you shut it down when hot. It may also account for it being hard to start, especially if you are in the habit of pumping the gas pedal once to the floor before each start. If this is a habit, try this. When starting up HOT, don't give it any gas. If it starts easier that way, I would lean out the carb setting just a tweak. (Still pump the pedal once when it's cold, or it'll never start...). Just a guess here, but I've had this happen once and that's all it was. Best part, it's an easy fix and nothing is broken.

As for the temp, I've noticed most Mopars' temp gauges fluctuate more than other makes, just an observation. For example, my 77 van will go between 180-220. It goes up to 220 when I am sitting in traffic, when I shut the car down for a very short period of time when hot, then restart. Although, rumblefish 360 is right about double checking the timing, as that could cause your problem.
Old 07-30-2001, 11:25 AM
Inactive User

You're EGR might not be working if u have one or you didn't get the intake gasket to block off the EGR passages for your intake. I think it might be running too lean. Check the timing and check to see if the fan is working and what temp is the thermostat at? Make sure the water pump is working properly and that the rad is up to par for your recent rebuild. And finally up to higher octane! Check your oil and make sure there's no antifreeze or water in it could be leaking heads. Check the tension of the belt/s and adjust accordingly.