Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-22-2000, 05:16 PM
Inactive User

Unhappy

Help!!! I have a 1972 Charger with a 400 4bbl with a 727 t-flite. I just recently bought this car and started driving it. It drove great, shifted fine from 1-2 but from 2-3 it would lull (like it was shifting but it would slip a bit and then catch) and the other day it lost third and started to do this into second, so I took it out and put an overhaul kit in it. Whoever was in here last had the clutch plates all out of order and the friction plates had chunks missing were burnt. Next, with the new parts in it I put it back in, filled it, proceeded to start testing it. I had a good reverse but no forward gears at all. So I proceeded to drop the pan and test the servos with air pressure like my 727 manual says. Everything seemed ok. Pulled it back out, went through it, re-installed it, and then I had everything, until it started to warm up and the warmer it got, I would lose third, and warmer I would lose second. I never lost first though. I changed front pumps, that didn't help, I changed valve bodies, and that didn't help. Anybody with any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks
Old 10-22-2000, 09:20 PM
Inactive User

I don't know much about trannies, but I do know that when you rebuild/overhaul a tranny, you have to get a new converter or it'll burn up in about two city blocks. Hope this helps.

------------------
Nitro
69 Coronet 440
90 W250 4x4
00 Avenger ES
Old 10-23-2000, 03:40 PM
Moparchat Barracuda Owner

Nitro you dont have to if the convertor is good but it is recommended to flush the convertor completely and with Mopar convertors with the drain plug this is easy just use some diesel fuel to flush it out with.

Christian
Old 10-23-2000, 10:10 PM

Biggrin

Well, I guess the old stock converter in my Valiant is going to blow in the next mile or 2. I put in an old stock converter last summer (see the topic "My first torque converter failure" for more on this) and have over 40,000 miles on it now. Many dragstrip passes also.

Chargerdude, I can only guess what is wrong. Maybe sealing rings in the front servo or accumulator. A leak somewhere in the valve body? Misadjusted front band?
Old 10-23-2000, 11:16 PM
Inactive User

chargerdude,
If it was a torque converter problem you would not have first gear either. I suspect a piston problem, if not seal rings! Check close!
Old 10-24-2000, 07:06 PM
Inactive User

Exclamation

Well, with the weekend over I checked with a local tranny parts supplier and he said it sounded like the governor. Low and behold, I take the tailshaft off and I had a broken ring on the governor. I replace the governor with a new one $8 and put it back together. Now first and second engages positively and response is awesome, but no third gear. I disconnected the throttle pressure regulator and still no third. Here's the kicker. The governor I removed was a 72, but the trans shop sold me a 77, and said it was the same. Well I did notice a difference in a little reservoir on one side of the governor. I wonder if because the 72 didn't have it, that the 77's reserve could be enough to lower pressure and keep me from getting third, I guess I have to check it out.
Old 10-24-2000, 07:55 PM
Inactive User

I don't know whats wrong with your trans. Chargerdude, I just wanted to add something to what ChristianCuda said about flushing the convertor. I've found that all to often people tend to the convertor by either flushing it or replacing it, then they forget to flush out the transmission cooler. Just a reminder to everyone don't forget your cooler. No sense in making the filter work any harder then necessary.